Prolapsed & Bleeding Cloaca!

Jan 4, 2022
Dallas, Georgia.
Hello, I’m at a loss. I noticed today that one of my older leghorn hens was bleeding from her vent (it’s also a bit messy with loose stool). When I grabbed her I noticed she was severely prolapsed. One 30 minute Epsom salt bath later, her vent has gone back in but she’s still dripping blood. Not sure what is happening or what I should do for her 😢 she’s acting like everything is fine, but when I held her, she was wheezing and whimpering. Could an egg have broken somehow? She just passed a solid poop so I don’t think she’s eggbound. How can I remedy this, as the closest avian vet is nearly 2 hours away? Attached are photos of her and her bum.

Attachments

• E323D9CA-70D8-474D-B2B4-E1C41294A967.jpeg
    E323D9CA-70D8-474D-B2B4-E1C41294A967.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1BF962C2-39A0-4080-925F-0D8261680FDD.jpeg
    1BF962C2-39A0-4080-925F-0D8261680FDD.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 31
The prolapse went back in on it's own? No exposed tissue right?

Bleeding could be from the tissue being picked at/cannibalized by the others. Possible broken egg, if you feel inside the vent do you feel any shell pieces?

Does she have any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

With the bleeding and wheezing, I would get her on a round of antibiotics. Do you have anything on hand? If you do, what.

I would also get some Calcium into her to help with retention (1 Caltrate with D3) and see that she drinks well. Is her crop emptying, what's that like?

The prolapse went back in on it's own? No exposed tissue right?

Bleeding could be from the tissue being picked at/cannibalized by the others. Possible broken egg, if you feel inside the vent do you feel any shell pieces?

Does she have any bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

With the bleeding and wheezing, I would get her on a round of antibiotics. Do you have anything on hand? If you do, what.

I would also get some Calcium into her to help with retention (1 Caltrate with D3) and see that she drinks well. Is her crop emptying, what's that like?
Yes it went back on its own, I didn’t attempt to push it back in for her. It’s still a little swollen but not pushed out anymore.

I felt her lower abdomen and it felt slightly squishy like all the other hens.

I haven’t felt inside her vent bc I don’t want to hurt her, but she didn’t see bothered by me pushing on her lower abdomen.

Her crop has some grit but mostly empty bc I haven’t fed her since bringing her inside.

I have VETRX and this (picture) that I bought on accident but if it’s safe for birds and there is a correct known dosage for chickens, I’d be willing to do the injections.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 33
Dosing for LA200 is hard to nail down. It may help with infection of the oviduct. The 2 threads below is the closest I can get you to dosing. If you have a TSC that carries Fish Antibiotic/Fish Mox (Amoxicillin) that is what I would use over the Oxy, but sometimes you go with what you have on hand.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ytetracycline-injections.713434/post-12167727
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/
I do have some fish antibiotics! My boyfriend brought some home a few months ago and never understood his logic behind it since we don’t have fish 😂 I’ll put some of that in her water! Thank you for your help!

I do have some fish antibiotics! My boyfriend brought some home a few months ago and never understood his logic behind it since we don’t have fish 😂 I’ll put some of that in her water! Thank you for your help!
What do you have?
I wouldn't mix them with the water if it's pills or capsules, she won't get the right dose.

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.

What do you have?
I wouldn't mix them with the water if it's pills or capsules, she won't get the right dose.

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days.
It’s a powder supplement, meant to be dusted into a fish tank. Also she laid an egg this morning and it was way worse than yesterday. She was visibly in pain. She managed to suck it back in. Hopefully since she’s been inside she won’t lay again and can rest her poor body for awhile.

It’s a powder supplement, meant to be dusted into a fish tank. Also she laid an egg this morning and it was way worse than yesterday. She was visibly in pain. She managed to suck it back in. Hopefully since she’s been inside she won’t lay again and can rest her poor body for awhile.
You may want to actually measure it out and give her correct dosing.

How many mg in a packet? (Got a photo of the product and label?) If you know that, then it can be split up to give her dosing orally instead of guessing and relying on her drinking enough for it to be effective.

Poor girl! It probably was painful. Is she bleeding after laying the egg?
The only way to stop production would be to keep a hen in total darkness for 16hrs each day, then it will take a while for her to stop.

Back
Top Bottom