Prolapsed vent and triple egg bound?

Deeprootsf2t

Hatching
Apr 5, 2024
My 5 year old easter egger Piper, came out of the coop yesterday and I immediately noticed she wasnt right. Had seemed fine the before. She is shy and doesnt like to be touched but I was able to easily pick her up. Her vent looked swollen and red, like hemroids. I could feel the egg in her belly. Isolated her and started warm soaks. It seems her tissues on her vent are overlapped in a way that wont allow the egg out. After massaging gently I can feel two if not three eggs inside. I am at a loss. Can I save her?

You can give her a calcium citrate 600 +vitamin D3 tablet to help with the contractions (Walmart or similar) and a warm soak in epsom salt water for 10-15 minutes.
Dry her well afterwards and let her rest on a warm and humid towel in a dim place.
I hope she will be able to push the eggs out.

Is she still able to poop?
Has she had issues with brittle eggshells/shell-less eggs in the past?

And welcome to the BYC community!:frow

She is still pooping around the egg when contracting in the soak mostly. Gave her lemon sugar water with tums for the calcium. There was a shelless egg in the yard a couple weeks ago, but I did not know who it came from. No other problems before this. I feel so bad for her. Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention to always keep the prolapse well lubricated to avoid the tissue drying out and becoming necrotic

Back
Top Bottom