Prolapsed Vent -newly laying hen (4days)

Tashua

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2017
North Florida
Just out of curiosity I had her squat & saw a little blood on vent area (nobody seems to have noticed or pecked at her ) I was going to clean it up with a warm rag & put some vetricyn (sp?) on it .
Any other suggestions ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 8
Just out of curiosity I had her squat & saw a little blood on vent area (nobody seems to have noticed or pecked at her ) I was going to clean it up with a warm rag & put some vetricyn (sp?) on it .
Any other suggestions ?
1% hydrocortisone cream to the vent twice a day until improvement

Update 6:30pm
Washed area , no poop to remove , prolapse appeared mild , applied vetericyn and returned viaduct to proper place . Very little was protruding I think I caught it early enough. Have an old small dog crate I put together for her .....

Update 6:30pm
Washed area , no poop to remove , prolapse appeared mild , applied vetericyn and returned viaduct to proper place . Very little was protruding I think I caught it early enough. Have an old small dog crate I put together for her .....
try not to have anything she can scratch her booty on

It looks like her vent was pecked by the other chickens in the first picture. That can happen with a slight prolapse as they can sometimes do with laying an egg. Glad that she is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom