Pros and Cons for using sand

PDZ or Sweet PDZ is a "stall sweetener" that combats odors of urine and poo.

I have a coop that is raised off the ground by 2 feet. The run attached has a bottom frame of pressure treated wood sunk into the ground by several inches. My coop/run is a custom design (by me) fabricated by my long suffering DH. I do plan to write an article about it with pictures if anyone is interested in the design and building of our palace.

Here in NJ our soil is compacted clay which is either hard as concrete or soft boot-sucking mud depending on precipitation. I use sand to lighten the soil in the run areas. This improves drainage inside the run. The bottom frame of the run area keeps the sand from washing away.

Critters are kept at bay by the frame foundation and lots of locks on the doors.

What is PDZ & DE ? I also use play sand in my run. This is something new I'm trying. I didn't add anything extra to it.
Read posting #33. It explains what is PDZ. and DE is Diatomaceous earth. Read posting #43 for more information on it.
Hope this helps.

smile.png

AND ALMOST SLIPPED ME
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
I live in CT with snowy cold winters and was considering sand to for easier cleaning in the coop, but reading all these posts has gotten me conflicted. Since your climate seems to be similar, I would apprecriate your advise.

I also have well built (amish made) coop with a glass board floor and 2 roosting bars. We've been using hay for insulation and bedding but are getting overwhelmed with the volume and time it takes to clean up - especially in the freezing, snowy winter months. And it doesn't compost well. I've tried shedded plain paper & news print in the warmer months (mixed with pine & cedar shavings) - easy to clean out & compost, but not great for winter.

My girls LOVE pete moss and sand in the run, but now I'm confused about that as well....coccidiosis? PDZ?? What are these and why does sand and moss proliferate them?

Any advice/suggestions can offer me will be greatly appreciated :)

Blessings! Karen
I live in Connecticut too, Karen. You can read all about what makes sand a winning bedding option in all climates on my blog. You can Google "the chicken chick and "sand" and "surviving winter with chickens" and "sweet pdz" to read all the answers to your questions. I can't share the links here, but if you PM me, I can give them to you.

Your husband has a point with the weight. Stationary coops using course sand (not play sand) are the way to go. Wood chips are light and can be moved easily, however; I have used chips and they tend to cement together when the bird poop dries and they smell real bad in the hot summer. A combination of course sand, top soil, DE, and PDZ deodorant, mixed well make a great blend for a coop. The top soil when dry, mixed with DE (Diatomaceous Earth) are good for the dust bath and keep the girls happy and mite free. The sand and PDZ keep the odor down and fluids drain well, reducing dampness and clumping of the soil mix.

Wood chips alone are not sufficient and you will be out there raking the mess often. It's Preference and what is accommodating to the caretaker of the flock.
No diatomaceous earth!! It is proven to cause respiratory distress in chickens!

Course sand is more appropriate for several reasons. It is a source of fine grit for the chickens digestion, it drains better than fine sand without holding the bulk of poop or soil, and it mixed well with PDZ/Diatomaceous Earth.

For year, I have used that formula (added hay in the winter) and in the summer I add top soil. I never get mites, low odor in the heat of the summer, easy to grade with the rake, and the hens love to bathe in the base material.

Has anyone used construction sand or Class I sand it is sometimes called? It is very course, but I don't know if it's ok for chickens. Anybody have experience with it, any thoughts?
I know I want to use sand, and this stuff seems like a good choice, don't know if it has silica or other no-no's.

Has anyone used construction sand or Class I sand it is sometimes called? It is very course, but I don't know if it's ok for chickens. Anybody have experience with it, any thoughts?
I know I want to use sand, and this stuff seems like a good choice, don't know if it has silica or other no-no's.

That is what I use and besides it is what I have from my concrete projects. It works well. My chickens are healthy, live long lives, (last one to go to other side was 13) I agree with the views of HEME as well as ADozenGirlz, as well as many of the Pro sand peeps. The anti sand peeps are entitled to their opinions and may have unique circumstances that make sand BAD for their use. As to the dust being bad. ALL dust is BAD. The less you have , the better. USE COMMON SENSE. Don't be afraid to go outside because there is wind. Don't be afraid of the beach because the wind might kick up some dust. WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

PS. Read post 84 and 86 for quick reference.

What is PDZ & DE? I'm planning on a sand run and see many of you reference PDZ & DE mixed in with the sand. What are these things and what do they do/why do you mix them in?

ALL sand is not equal: Although play sand is clean, it is too fine for the coop unless it is mixed well with top soil. The best grit is Brook or Stream sand. It is a mix of various sizes of pebbles from micro-sand to miniature pebbles. Beach sand is silica and stream sand is a mix of various elements. Contractor sand comes in different types and sizes. It is hard to tell what you get unless you can see the contents. Some Contractor sand is not really sand, but crushed rock. Unfortunately, you may get rock in lieu of stream grit.

All of the grits have particles small enough to aid digestion and chickens peck out only what they need or select. Just do not give them Cement powder or Concrete Mix by error.

RE: DUST. That you can not control without filtration. Certainly not outdoors. I use DE and that is so fine, it becomes a dust when the girls twist and turn in the floor bed. I mix it well with top soil and grit to keep it from flying around. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom