Puffed up Welsummer chick with deformed beak. PLEASE HELP!!!

SwampQueenChick

Songster
Sep 13, 2019
Back story:

• 9 Week old chick
• Defied death (had fowl pox, eyes
completely crusted over, as well as
top of beak for about two weeks)
• Recovered 3 weeks ago, introduced
back into flock
• Staying puffed up going on 2 days
now
• Pulled her from flock again
• Realized her beak is deformed ( don't
recall it being like this, as I hand fed
her water and food during fowl pox)
• Lethargic, sleeping alot
• Seems to be drinking water more than
normal
• Still showing interest in food
• Possibly saw a tiny spot of blood in
feces ( not 100% if it was)

Questions:
Wondering can she consume enough water and food with the beak deformity?

Advice on electrolytes? Medication?

Could she have got her beak caught in something somehow, struggled to free herself, and broke it???

In second pic that is food on her beak!

PLEASE HELP OUR WARRIOR SARAH JANE, SHE'S BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH ALREADY!!!

Attachments

• 20220923_160612.jpg
    20220923_160612.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220923_160439.jpg
    20220923_160439.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 16
Recovered 3 weeks ago, introduced
back into flock
• Staying puffed up going on 2 days
now

• Pulled her from flock again
• Realized her beak is deformed ( don't
recall it being like this, as I hand fed
her water and food during fowl pox)
• Lethargic, sleeping alot
• Seems to be drinking water more than
normal
• Still showing interest in food
• Possibly saw a tiny spot of blood in
feces ( not 100% if it was)
What's her poop like? Photos

Being pluffed up and unkempt looking, I'd treat for Coccidiosis.

Give her a direct oral dose of Liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days.

This is in addition to her drinking mixed Corid water for 5-7 days at a dose of 2tsp per gallon of water.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

Offer feed as a wet mash in a deep bowl or you can torpedo feed her (see link below).

The beak looks to have been possibly injured, hard to tell.

Omit any extra vitamins that contain B1 Thiamine during the course of treatment with Corid.

Torpedo feeding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

How to syringe fluids/meds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

What's her poop like? Photos

Being pluffed up and unkempt looking, I'd treat for Coccidiosis.

Give her a direct oral dose of Liquid Corid at a rate of 0.10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days.

This is in addition to her drinking mixed Corid water for 5-7 days at a dose of 2tsp per gallon of water.

Check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight as well.

Offer feed as a wet mash in a deep bowl or you can torpedo feed her (see link below).

The beak looks to have been possibly injured, hard to tell.

Omit any extra vitamins that contain B1 Thiamine during the course of treatment with Corid.

Torpedo feeding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

How to syringe fluids/meds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Thanks a bunch for putting this info together. Her main reason for looking unkempt is she just recovered from fowl pox a few weeks back. She just started to fill back in, then this issue arised. I gave her nutridrench as someone suggested. She is still with us this morning. I will do as you suggested, my only problem is I don't have the meds on hand right now. One thing for sure, I will be purchasing all needed meds to have on hand for future use. ( I know being a responsible chicken owner I should have already had on hand JIC ) Live and learn.
Is there a list of meds somewhere on BYC that chicken owners should keep on hand?
Suggestions for best places to buy chicken meds from?

Thanks for all the help again. I just love BYC people!

There are quite a few threads about first aid kits and supplies to have on hand.

Some quite elaborate and will set you back some $$.

For me, I try to keep things basic and to a minimum.
Medications do expire, so having a lot of things on hand sounds great, but if never used (which you hope!) can be a waste.
Things I try to keep on hand is Corid, Calcium Citrate, wound care and vitamins.

Corid for Coccidiosis.

Calcium Citrate for hens that are having difficulty laying an egg, etc.

Vitamins - like Nutri-Drench, Poultry Cell, etc.

Wound care - a lot of these items are normal everyday household first aid, but having a dedicated tube of triple antibiotic ointment, an antiseptic cleanser like Chlorhexidine and saline (either purchased or have a good recipe to make your own saline) will cover most minor injuries that arise until you can source something specific if it's needed.

As for things like Dewormer, I purchase as needed.

I do keep Permethrin spray and dust on hand.

Antibiotics are not as readily available like they used to be and often they need to be ordered, so I do keep Amoxicillin on hand.

Other things I do use and have dedicated to chicken care is a dish pan, scissors, vet wrap for feet/spurs/legs, vaseline for combs/wattles/faces. These things you can pick up/accumulate as you go or as needed.

The only other thing is to have a place you can separate a bird if needed. This can be a spare pen, a large tote, kennel/dog crate, large cardboard box - many things will work to confine a hen or rooster.

I'm sure others can give you other ideas and share with you what they keep on hand. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

There are quite a few threads about first aid kits and supplies to have on hand.

Some quite elaborate and will set you back some $$.

For me, I try to keep things basic and to a minimum.
Medications do expire, so having a lot of things on hand sounds great, but if never used (which you hope!) can be a waste.
Things I try to keep on hand is Corid, Calcium Citrate, wound care and vitamins.

Corid for Coccidiosis.

Calcium Citrate for hens that are having difficulty laying an egg, etc.

Vitamins - like Nutri-Drench, Poultry Cell, etc.

Wound care - a lot of these items are normal everyday household first aid, but having a dedicated tube of triple antibiotic ointment, an antiseptic cleanser like Chlorhexidine and saline (either purchased or have a good recipe to make your own saline) will cover most minor injuries that arise until you can source something specific if it's needed.

As for things like Dewormer, I purchase as needed.

I do keep Permethrin spray and dust on hand.

Antibiotics are not as readily available like they used to be and often they need to be ordered, so I do keep Amoxicillin on hand.

Other things I do use and have dedicated to chicken care is a dish pan, scissors, vet wrap for feet/spurs/legs, vaseline for combs/wattles/faces. These things you can pick up/accumulate as you go or as needed.

The only other thing is to have a place you can separate a bird if needed. This can be a spare pen, a large tote, kennel/dog crate, large cardboard box - many things will work to confine a hen or rooster.

I'm sure others can give you other ideas and share with you what they keep on hand. Everyone has their own way of doing things.
Thanks so much for the feedback!

How often would you recommend deworming?

I've only ever had a handful of chickens and never worried about deworming, but recently acquired a sizable flock and I'd like to stay on top of parasites and any other necessary treatments.

Back
Top Bottom