Pullets - Winter

rkanani

Hatching
Jun 17, 2021
I have 6 pullets (2 Barred Rock, 2 Rhode Island’s, 1 Welsummer, 1 Americauna) that are about 4 months old. They will be 5 months in the middle of November. I’m in Northern California.
Will they start laying, or do you think they won’t lay all winter and will start in the spring?
When should I switch them to layer feed, or at 5 months should I keep them on grower and just put out oyster shells as an option?

I have 6 pullets (2 Barred Rock, 2 Rhode Island’s, 1 Welsummer, 1 Americauna) that are about 4 months old. They will be 5 months in the middle of November. I’m in Northern California.
Will they start laying, or do you think they won’t lay all winter and will start in the spring?
When should I switch them to layer feed, or at 5 months should I keep them on grower and just put out oyster shells as an option?
To answer your first question, it depends on your birds. Some lay through their first winter and some don't.

As for feed, I recommend the latter. Grower and oyster shells on the side is enough.

If you want to use layer feed, I'd wait until at least some of the birds start laying. With their ages and with winter oncoming, it's possible some of the birds (or even all) might not start laying until days start lengthening again.

Back
Top Bottom