Pullets with adult chickens

enrgizerbunny

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Virginia, USA
I recently purchased 3 new pullets because one of my hens got dead last week. Ironically it was the hen who never jumps the fence. I have 2 golden comets aged 1 and 2 years. The young one is the alpha, but they aren't mingling well with the pullets it seems.

I'm bonding the pullets to the coop, so there locked up during the day, but everybody is piled in at night.

What's the usual process for this introduction? These birds are younger than I expected. My coop is on the small side because they have a large run.

20180812_175316.jpg

Not sure where you are from, but with the heat up here, if your coop and run are attached, I would let them out in the run during the daytime. As long as they are not bleeding, it is best to just let them work it out. However, sometimes it helps, to let the big girls out in the yard, lock them out and let the pullets out into the run, where they can explore it a bit, without being harassed. Then let the big girls in just before dark. They will all be wanting to go to roost rather than too much fighting.

Things that help in the run are mini walls, pallets leaned against a wall, pallets up on blocks, places where birds can get out of sight of each other, but make sure they cannot get trapped.

The pullets will be a sub flock until they begin to lay, then they are more accepted.

Large runs do not make up for too small coops do to the fact with the dark days of winter they spend 14 + hours in the coop. Sometimes ugly behaviors can result. Some birds take a tighter confinement than others. It just depends. If you get a victim, you may have to reduce the size of your flock, but I would wait and see how it goes.

Mrs K

I recently purchased 3 new pullets because one of my hens got dead last week. Ironically it was the hen who never jumps the fence. I have 2 golden comets aged 1 and 2 years. The young one is the alpha, but they aren't mingling well with the pullets it seems.

I'm bonding the pullets to the coop, so there locked up during the day, but everybody is piled in at night.

What's the usual process for this introduction? These birds are younger than I expected. My coop is on the small side because they have a large run.

View attachment 1503300
Hey there. I have a small coop as well. Newbie here so I bought three pullets, aged 6 weeks then a week later bought two, 3.5- 4 month old hens. The hens had been in full lockdown in their previous owners coop. There was a lot of pecking from the older girls but when I caught them, I would point and tell the hens "NO"! We don't peck the babies! Haha It worked! Just a bit of that, I'm boss here kind of thing. Now? One hen guards the coop while the other has taken on a Mommie role. I have a small coop and run but my chicks all get released from coop at 7 am and go in when the solar lights come on. The hens know the drill and have started teaching the babies how things work. BTW I have a "happy chicken run"! A mirror hangs from fence, which they love, rooster bars here and there, a couple small kids balls, dust bath, treat like watermelon is usually available and I provide shady & sunny spots for their pleasure. Happy Hens!

Pics of coop and run would help us make specific suggestions. A large run often does not make up for a small coop, especially during integration where more space makes things easier.

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

The coop is 35x48" (48"tall) plus nesting area. It's small, but my flock has always been 3, and I want no more than 5. It's elevated from the ground, has a plastic floor that is covered with coarse pine shavings that get changed as they soil.

Run is roughly 26'x37' with no overhead structure.

My chickens do not stay in the coop unless it snows. I have excellent vertical ventilation, the entire roof line is open on 4 sides. I have a separate covered area in the run for rainy days, although they usually hang out under the coop on the cinder block when it pours. They always have a shady area, from early morning to dusk, the run is never in total sunlight.

Thank you for the information on chicken behavior,I think I have enough hiding places, but I could probably add some more.

The coop is 35x48" (48"tall) plus nesting area. It's small, but my flock has always been 3, and I want no more than 5. It's elevated from the ground, has a plastic floor that is covered with coarse pine shavings that get changed as they soil.

My chickens do not stay in the coop unless it snows. I have excellent vertical ventilation, the entire roof line is open on 4 sides. I have a separate covered area in the run for rainy days, although they usually hang out under the coop on the cinder block when it pours. They always have a shady area, from early morning to dusk, the run is never in total sunlight.

Thank you for the information on chicken behavior,I think I have enough hiding places, but I could probably add some more.
I think you need a bigger coop...it's barely big enough for 3 birds to be snowbound, let alone adding 2 more. Does feed and water take up part of that coop space?

How much snow do you get?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-8-15_7-55-17.png

I love repurposing things. When I was looking for things to use as obstacles, roosting spots, hiding places etc, I came across a broken plastic flower pot. It's one of those wide and tall jobs that huge hanging plants come in. Anyway it had a hole in the side, was flipped upside down in the woods. I was like, EUREKA! I took my utility knife & cut that hole bigger, sanded the sharp edges & stuck it in the run. My little pullets LOVE it! Ended up adding a hole on the other side so they can just run through it like grand arches ☺️. My chicks are inquisitive so I change the run around every other night. Keeps them busy exploring, pecking the ground instead of each other. The advice you were given is awesome! I will do it better next time but thankfully everything worked out for this novice on her first integration! Good luck!

I think you need a bigger coop...it's barely big enough for 3 birds to be snowbound, let alone adding 2 more. Does feed and water take up part of that coop space?

How much snow do you get?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!

We get snow a handful of days each winter. My birds will stay inside if it's several inches deep until I shovel a path to the "shed" (red roof in pictures). They're not fond of snow, but cold doesn't seem to phase them.

20180816_174452.jpg

20180816_174448.jpg

20180816_174417.jpg

20180816_174402.jpg

20180816_174340.jpg

20180816_174351.jpg

20180816_174429.jpg

Large runs do not make up for too small coops do to the fact with the dark days of winter they spend 14 + hours in the coop.

Mrs K

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the coop isn't getting any bigger, so it is what it is. It's going to be a long few weeks until the pullets start laying. I have to physical remove them from the coop in the morning and pack them up in the evening. Once they're out, they just segregate themselves and there doesn't seem to be much harassment.

The pullets took to the watering bucket without coaching, so that was good.

Integration is going well for the time being. The pullets don't go in the coop at night, but if I place them on the second roost at night they are not bothered.

They are definitely a sub flock, but they're not chased constantly they way they were when they first came out of the coop.

Is the 16% layer feed sufficient for these pullets or should I get some finisher with more protein until they start laying?

Back
Top Bottom