Purple Chicken 🤔

honeyb711

Songster
7 Years
Jun 30, 2016
QLD Australia
Snow White is one of 6 silkies that I rescued a few months ago now. She is not the nicest hen, in fact, she killed one of our hatchies a month ago...& to be honest, I've been mad at her ever since. Today though while out with them, I paid her some more attention than I have been & it got me wondering...why is she purple? Is this what is meant by the term gypsy face? She always has been purple, some days just much brighter than others. But she is the only one who is purple, the others are black skinned, & although I'm not her biggest fan, & she needs a bath after playing in the rain earlier, I do think she is very pretty

Attachments

• IMG_20240509_145023.jpg
    IMG_20240509_145023.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240509_085022.jpg
    IMG_20240509_085022.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That is pretty however, gypsy face refers to a dark plum colored face on a light skinned chicken, not a fibro chicken. Starling here may have a dark face but underneath the feathers her skin is pale. Sumatras exhibit this.
541665F2-71D0-4FD1-B93F-2029DF97C3AB.jpeg

Your hen has a lovely lavender color on her face because of the white earlobe gene that causes her turquoise earlobes. Some of that “white” is also on her face, making a purple color. It would be interesting if purple-faced chickens were selectively bred for.

That is pretty however, gypsy face refers to a dark plum colored face on a light skinned chicken, not a fibro chicken. Starling here may have a dark face but underneath the feathers her skin is pale. Sumatras exhibit this.
View attachment 3826577
Your hen has a lovely lavender color on her face because of the white earlobe gene that causes her turquoise earlobes. Some of that “white” is also on her face, making a purple color. It would be interesting if purple-faced chickens were selectively bred for.
Thank you for the explanation x I've only heard the term twice, & one of those times someone was referring to a silkie, & they used the term 'gypsy purple'...which is why I thought this may have been what they meant. She is pretty anyway, & I'd love to have bred her with my Buff Silkie Roo, only he is not capable of doing the job. He was severely injured by another rooster before I rescued him, & is quiet disabled. He cannot crow, he cannot do any normal rooster things, but he is the absolute sweetest little guy ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_20240226_065333.jpg
    IMG_20240226_065333.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom