@WhatTheDuckingDuck soooo sweet!

This was my first experience having a feathered being snuggle in and sleep on me and it left me with this really comforting feeling like "omg this bottom of the food chain animal really friggin trusts me!"
And she KNOWS shes my fave and will get extra treats if she doesnt charge the treat plate with the rest of the flock.

I totally understand chicken therapy now.
They are SO great!

Hey everyone this is Forest! Hes a Royal Palm Turkey and 10 weeks old in this first picture. I cant confidently show pics of him when he was younger because I've only JUST been able to tell my turks a part. And really Forest and Lieutenant Dan are the only two I can visually identify right now lol

20200528_151546.jpg

Forest is Number one in the coop. His chosen spot on the roost is right up front with a view of both doors, hes the first to sound the alarm and check things out. He keeps the lieutenant in check and his Jenny's safe. And hes actually a total suck.

20200601_150146.jpg

Forest checking up on my laces while two of his girls sleep soundly. I sat down for MINUTE! Does Cat law apply to Turkeys? To be safe I just stayed until they woke up lol 11 weeks here, barely able to identify my girls but I have one Jenny who come right in for a HUG. I'll get a pic some day.

20200425_135717.jpg

Meeko and the feather puppies dreaming of sweet escapes. 7 weeks here, barely any black feathers in yet!!

Snapchat-1267103402.jpg

About 3 weeks here.

As mentioned in my first post, the turkeys were a total impulse buy. I do not regret it at all! However I wish I would have been better prepared in the brooder area. By 4-5 weeks they were escape artists. I couldn't get the walls high enough, eventually I blocked out my entire reading room for the birds. Sometimes we gotta make sacrifices. My wardrobe was a big one.

20200604_144745.jpg

I let Mr. Magoo in the coop today! Ive been very strict with him about the "babies" and he hasn't been allowed in the coop or run area. When the brooder room was in the house I had it sectioned off with chicken wire and a screen door. And would only allow one animal in at a time to get acquainted under a very watchful eye. But today I was feeling generous, and it went off without a hitch. We spent about 15 mins topping up the food, water and saying hello and Goober barely even looked at a bird. He was too busy eating as much poop as he could before I kicked him out lol
20200604_144702.jpg

As you can see, the birds were relatively unphased. I didn't record the reintroduction or anything because I wanted to be extremely attentive. After the food was out out they really didnt care anyways. I think a couple of them were more interested in finding out if Magoo was finding better eats hidden under the shavings.

Counting my blessings that I don't have a dog with a high prey drive despite poodle being his dominant breed. The border collie/shepherd is really pulling through and I am so grateful for it!

View attachment 2176702

I let Mr. Magoo in the coop today! Ive been very strict with him about the "babies" and he hasn't been allowed in the coop or run area. When the brooder room was in the house I had it sectioned off with chicken wire and a screen door. And would only allow one animal in at a time to get acquainted under a very watchful eye. But today I was feeling generous, and it went off without a hitch. We spent about 15 mins topping up the food, water and saying hello and Goober barely even looked at a bird. He was too busy eating as much poop as he could before I kicked him out lol
View attachment 2176725
As you can see, the birds were relatively unphased. I didn't record the reintroduction or anything because I wanted to be extremely attentive. After the food was out out they really didnt care anyways. I think a couple of them were more interested in finding out if Magoo was finding better eats hidden under the shavings.

Counting my blessings that I don't have a dog with a high prey drive despite poodle being his dominant breed. The border collie/shepherd is really pulling through and I am so grateful for it!
You are so blessed. Munchkin, of the same breeds as yours, is definitely not in their category of calmness. He ran into the coop like a wild banshee, chased everything out in a matter of seconds (and that with being on a leash, too) then proceeded to lie down against the gate/door as if he hadn't done a dang thing. . Sometime later. Mutt the cat, scratched his nose and walked in the chicken coop and lied down for a long and sonorous nap till feeding time for her babies.

This glow up kinda cracks me up. In the last pic is my Jenny who likes hugs, Im pretty sure she's always been my number one supporter in my pirate dreams. I know I posted the first pic already, and probably will again but the difference just blows my mind!!
3 weeks
6 weeks
11 weeks
IMG_20200605_090704_866.jpg

20200502_182010.jpg

20200604_193648.jpg

And yes, shes getting HEAVY, probably not the best habit to have gotten ourselves into.
Does anyone else have a shoulder turkey or chicken?

Immediately after this pic I felt a good poop roll right down my back I was NOT wearing my coop clothes. RIP comfiest hoodie ever, you're chicken clothes now.

@Jac Jac Munchkin and Mutt!!! Too cute. It's hard with mixed breeds right? You really dont know what characteristics are gonna shine. Common theme of acting like nothings happened though! Lucky with the chickens but garbage is a totally other issue. I really lucked out with Magoo as he was a rescue and I've only JUST had him for 3 years this summer. I've never owned a dog before lol not as an adult by myself at least so it's been an experience!! Hes pretty dog aggresive but good with other animals!!
So wait you have KITTENS?!?! :love my first love lol maybe she needed a break from the littles?!

Dexter spent some time watching the ducklings play in water while I cleaned out the brooder yesterday. Was too busy watching to take pics but he did really good! They've gotten so big SO fast!!

Its wonderful when everyone finds some sort of harmony between the species!

Today I wanted to introduce these charming nuggets!

These are my four silkies at a day old! They're soooooo smol!
Collage 2020-06-09 08_20_07.jpg

I remember when I picked these cuties up the lady said, people either love em or hate em and asked what I was wanted them for. I know they produce eggs, but really I got them for their looks, so I told her I wanted lawn ornaments. We laughed and laughed and I had four new chickies.

20200609_083147.jpg

I've yet to name the vast majority of the birds, silkies included. But they're really starting to shine and I'm noticing their individual personalities a lot more now. This little guy (I think) just wants to be with the big kids! I find it's always snuggled up to Big Bertha or one of the Jenny's and tries desperately to get to the top roost, so recently I built him a couple of steps to join the others.

20200609_083530.jpg

Mission successful.

This little partridge fella is probably, in my eyes, my most beautiful bird. I just LOVE his colors, feathers and attitude. He, the black silkie, and my mysterious black mix hen are the last to get in the coop and the most skittish around me but we're working on it.
20200609_083134.jpg

My mom has affectionately named this ball of fluff Sophie. I think it's more of a Joseph though, I know silkies are hard to sex at this age, or at all it seems but I'm pretty sure I was (un)lucky enough to get three cockerels in the bunch..

20200609_083049.jpg

Finally, here's number 4! This little black floof is as annoying as she (hopefully) is adorable...

20200609_083017.jpg

I got my silkies about 3 weeks after everyone else so I think they're a little overwhelmed by the others and havent quite got the hands on attention I would have liked to give to desensitize them a bit. Slowly but surely they're coming around especially my lighter two. Any tips or tricks to get silkies to snuggle in would be appreciated! If anyone can confirm genders I'd be ever so grateful!!!

Last edited:
😍 oomgoodness your chickie are all super cute!! I wish I had the space for a big set up like that, very nice!
I've raised a couple of chicks within the city limits, 15 years ago (out of 13 chicks in total, 4 survived) and here I go again, with more hope.
2 barred rock & 2 lavender orpingtons.
The lighter barred rock chick has been sleeping more than the others (I hope its okay) but the others are ok.
Super excited!

Attachments

• 20200607_192923.jpg
    20200607_192923.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom