Purple wattle

Is the discolored wattle swollen? Do you see any swelling on that side of her face? Have you inspected inside her mouth for signs of sticky plaques?

It would answer a lot of our questions to have your location. In my opinion, it should be required in order to have the privilege of posting here. It automatically tells us your climate and whether it's winter or summer there, what kind of parasites you may be dealing with, and what sort of predators you have. It even goes beyond that. When we suggest medications, in some places, it's not possible to find them, and other meds may not be safe for chickens where you live. For example, we suggest miconazole for crop yeast infections, but in Europe, it has dangerous to poultry additives.
Looks like she has some dark stuff in her beak even after drinking water but I haven’t heard of sticky plaque? It’s a little swollen and elongated but her face seems okay.

Attachments

• F41AF836-353C-4C37-8D6F-224E6D696C17.jpeg
    F41AF836-353C-4C37-8D6F-224E6D696C17.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3032D74A-0AD2-47CD-9F87-10E98065A24F.jpeg
    3032D74A-0AD2-47CD-9F87-10E98065A24F.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 10
There is a product that can knock out leg mites with one soaking as long as your budget permits the expense. Look on Amazon for Elector PSP. I do a ten minute soak for my chickens if I notice leg mites. That's all. Done. Mites gone.
That’s expensive but it might be worth doing! I feel bad for them. Thank you!

Two things come to mind with a swollen dark wattle, and the first could be a tick bite. Ticks inject a blood thinner than causes swelling and purple bruising around a wattle or comb. I would look for any ticks on the chicken. The second is fowl cholera which can cause dark swollen wattles, comb and face among other symptoms. It is treated with sulfa drugs, such as sulfadimethoxine from a vet. Here is some reading about it:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fowl-cholera

Is the discolored wattle swollen? Do you see any swelling on that side of her face? Have you inspected inside her mouth for signs of sticky plaques?

It would answer a lot of our questions to have your location. In my opinion, it should be required in order to have the privilege of posting here. It automatically tells us your climate and whether it's winter or summer there, what kind of parasites you may be dealing with, and what sort of predators you have. It even goes beyond that. When we suggest medications, in some places, it's not possible to find them, and other meds may not be safe for chickens where you live. For example, we suggest miconazole for crop yeast infections, but in Europe, it has dangerous to poultry additives.

the purple wattle is back to red now but right next to her beak is swollen. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom