Putting fat chickens on a diet

If your chickens are overweight, they need more exercise. Period, end of story. Most chickens that are overweight, I will take a guess, do not free range. You ever see a hen workin' an area? There is a graceful, cadence that appears natural and necessary. My gals only become like that while free ranging and they find a spot that most likely has goodies.
I am sure to take my girls out to 'exercise' daily. same way you take a dog out to walk. This is all my opinion of course!
Nope, not just opinion.

You ever see a hen workin' an area? There is a graceful, cadence that appears natural and necessary. My gals only become like that while free ranging and they find a spot that most likely has goodies.
That's experience which unfortunately many people just don't have. I agree. Watching chickens move over large areas of land scratching and digging is a beautiful sight. They'll shift an incredible amount of soil and it looks so gracefull.

Nope, not just opinion.

That's experience which unfortunately many people just don't have. I agree. Watching chickens move over large areas of land scratching and digging is a beautiful sight. They'll shift an incredible amount of soil and it looks so gracefull.
I was thinking that upon reflection. Everyone has their own unique way in life and some are unable to free range their chickens. Well, my opinion, but, if your chickens dont get a chance to free range they are not 100% thriving and with that comes consequence i suppose people must live with. In this case, big, fat beautiful chickens šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø. I love em all. This pic is my 5 gals right now. I raked aside a little plot of leaves and they will 'exercise' until roost.
Ya'know, another point i want to add is, if you have a coop and run with chickens, and realize they need exercise, than, we should offer ideas! I have none other than, Let Them Out to Run and Play! šŸ“ā¤ļø

Since you said you have had two hens die at a young age with or because of weight problems, I am inclined to agree with the vet even if his reasoning is suspect. (He may just happen to be right because coincidences happen.) or maybe he noted physical signs of obesity he didnā€™t share with you. šŸ¤”

I would definitely cut out any high-calorie treats like mealworms or scratch. Just completely cut them, or lock up the fat chickens if you must give them to someone, so only your skinnier chickens have access. I would also suggest looking at the recommended amount per chicken per day on your feed and set up multiple feeding stations so everyone is able to eat at mealtime. Even if you continue to free-feed, having multiple stations will help ensure the lower ranked hens get their share.

You could also consider just delaying putting out the feed in the morning by a bit. Like the ā€œintermittent fastingā€ fad for humans, but less drastic. It seems like if your hens are ā€œboredom eating,ā€ limiting the amount of time they have the food around would curb that habit a little.

Honestly though, I think in general hens kept in confinement are very likely to get fat. They donā€™t have to work for their food and there isnā€™t really any incentive to be active - itā€™s not like they can explore something new or forage in a run. šŸ˜¬ I suppose you could take the ā€œzookeeperā€ approach and rotate in different toys every day?
I was skimming the thread and wanted to point out exactly what was said hereā˜ļø

If you have already had hens die from being fat and now you have a third, with a deadly issue that can be caused by being overweight, you really must stop all treats and take a good look at exactly what you've been feeding.
If your birds don't free range you are in full control of what you are choosing to feed them.

Or they need a better diet.
An unbalanced diet, a diet that is too high if proteins, diet too high in fats even over feeding table scraps can lead to a fat chicken.

Chickens don't eat because they are hungry, they eat to fill a caloric need.
Agreed. I have seen plenty of overweight chickens that are free range. My overweight ones are free range, but got too many treats. My confined ones are of an ideal weight, because I protect them with my life from my Dad who likes to feed them garbage. Also I donā€™t even feed free choice any more. I feed twice a day in the right quantity. They continue to lay and be healthy, plus they donā€™t make a mess of their pen anymore.

In all the studies I've read, including those deliberately feeding high protein feed (generally over 40%) in order to induce clinical conditions for study, I have yet to see a high protein diet shown to produce fat chickens. Neither is that level of protein available to owners "off the shelf", and even if it were, most would not choose to pay the associated expenses with such a feed.

Making a balanced chicken feed is hard. There is a lot that needs to be balanced - but excess protein's problems arise in other factors, primarily waste and pH adjustments in the digestive tract, not accumulation of fatty deposits.

In all the studies I've read, including those deliberately feeding high protein feed (generally over 40%) in order to induce clinical conditions for study, I have yet to see a high protein diet shown to produce fat chickens. Neither is that level of protein available to owners "off the shelf", and even if it were, most would not choose to pay the associated expenses with such a feed.

Making a balanced chicken feed is hard. There is a lot that needs to be balanced - but excess protein's problems arise in other factors, primarily waste and pH adjustments in the digestive tract, not accumulation of fatty deposits.
I believe that too. People who eat sufficient calories but only in protein will starve. (Protein poisoning.)

I only free-feed growing chicks.

Well, I guess occasionally also the hens if you count when I am going out of town for a night and use the large hanging feeder to be ā€œsuper sureā€ they have plenty while I am gone. But day-to-day, I scoop the recommended amount x number of chickens and thatā€™s what they get. Plus whatever they forage for themselves in the yard.

I canā€™t trust MYSELF not to get fat if in an all-you-can-eat-with-no-work scenario (looking at you, cruise ship!), and my dog seems to have the same struggle, so why would chickens be any different? Our bodies are programmed to eat a bit extra when itā€™s available so that later when food is scarce we have fat stored up. But if the scarce season never happensā€¦health issues.

Actually, unused proteins are stored as fat in all animals.

Back
Top Bottom