Putting week olds under a broody hen

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I have a sweet leghorn/ Bantam Cochin mix hen who hatched eggs twice in the last year and is broody again. I tried to break her of it, but she was so determined! Unfortunately we lost our Roo to a fox, so none of our eggs are fertilized.

Ended up going to TSC yesterday for chicks but all they had were at least a week old. I figured if my broody wouldn't accept them we would just use a brooder box like we've done before.

I was amazed at her willingness to accept them without question. She is now very happy with her new babies. I'm starting to think this chicken would mother just about anyone who let's her 😂

I've read on here many times that it rarely works with anything other than day olds, and that is probably true but I figured I would post as one of the lucky few I guess.

I tried to break her of it
How? For stubborn broodies, mine get locked in an elevated wire dog crate with a piece of 2x4 to sit on. They stay there for 3-5 days depending on how bad they are and if it's hot, they get dunked it cool water multiple times a day with a floor fan aimed at their crate.
I did read about a little brat that kept trying to set on the 2x4! Out came the 2x4 and she had to sit on the wire bottom of the crate. She did finally break.
I've read on here many times that it rarely works with anything other than day olds, and that is probably true but I figured I would post as one of the lucky few I guess.
This just goes to show you that all birds are individuals. I have read of other hens that have a fiercely strong maternal instinct and will take older chicks without issue.
Then there's these girls:
1660300688834.png

1660300800648.png

I have a sweet leghorn/ Bantam Cochin mix hen who hatched eggs twice in the last year and is broody again. I tried to break her of it, but she was so determined! Unfortunately we lost our Roo to a fox, so none of our eggs are fertilized.

Ended up going to TSC yesterday for chicks but all they had were at least a week old. I figured if my broody wouldn't accept them we would just use a brooder box like we've done before.

I was amazed at her willingness to accept them without question. She is now very happy with her new babies. I'm starting to think this chicken would mother just about anyone who let's her 😂

That is so cool!

Back
Top Bottom