Quail aviary floor

LemurFox

Songster
7 Years
Feb 15, 2017
We will be starting our build soon for the corturnix quail habitat. I was reading that a wire bottom is easier to clean. However, I had wanted to plant large ornamental grasses, clumping bamboo, etc for hiding purposes which would be difficult on wire (unless the grass grew up through the wire and grown in pots). I did read that living in dirt increases the quail's chance of getting worms. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

We will be starting our build soon for the corturnix quail habitat. I was reading that a wire bottom is easier to clean. However, I had wanted to plant large ornamental grasses, clumping bamboo, etc for hiding purposes which would be difficult on wire (unless the grass grew up through the wire and grown in pots). I did read that living in dirt increases the quail's chance of getting worms. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks.

Wire isn't the kindest option, and it isn't even the cleanest—look into the deep litter method and raising quail on the ground. Incidence of internal parasites in ground-raised quail only increases significantly when the birds have access to worm-carrying invertebrates such as slugs.

Also keep in mind that birds can be treated for worms—some people who raise them on dirt will worm them on a schedule to prevent a full-blown infestation. I'm a proponent of treating once you see symptoms.

P4180161.jpg

I raise my quail on dirt and deep litter and wouldn't do it any other way. The quality of life that a "natural" substrate and adequate cover provide far outweighs the risk of parasites and the human convenience of wire.

Wire isn't the kindest option, and it isn't even the cleanest—look into the deep litter method and raising quail on the ground. Incidence of internal parasites in ground-raised quail only increases significantly when the birds have access to worm-carrying invertebrates such as slugs.

Also keep in mind that birds can be treated for worms—some people who raise them on dirt will worm them on a schedule to prevent a full-blown infestation. I'm a proponent of treating once you see symptoms.

View attachment 1759782

I raise my quail on dirt and deep litter and wouldn't do it any other way. The quality of life that a "natural" substrate and adequate cover provide far outweighs the risk of parasites and the human convenience of wire.
Thank you so much. I felt dirt was a better option too and that wire can be harsh. How do you clean your dirt floor? Thanks.

Thank you so much. I felt dirt was a better option too and that wire can be harsh. How do you clean your dirt floor? Thanks.

I don't "clean" it so much as I turn it over into itself when the poop load gets critical. There aren't currently enough quail per square foot in my setup to have the most effective deep litter, so I let the top layer build up for a week or so before folding it in. I spot-clean the egregious cecal poops (e.g. around the feeder) and water the bedding once or twice a week before turning (due to dry climate).

As long as you don't push the limits of how many birds your cage can hold, the quails' feet stay clean and they're able to safely bathe in the decomposing bedding. More quail per square foot = more frequently turning and adding new bedding.

I don't "clean" it so much as I turn it over into itself when the poop load gets critical. There aren't currently enough quail per square foot in my setup to have the most effective deep litter, so I let the top layer build up for a week or so before folding it in. I spot-clean the egregious cecal poops (e.g. around the feeder) and water the bedding once or twice a week before turning (due to dry climate).

As long as you don't push the limits of how many birds your cage can hold, the quails' feet stay clean and they're able to safely bathe in the decomposing bedding. More quail per square foot = more frequently turning and adding new bedding.
Thank you! I am definitely going back to my dirt floor plan!

It's not quite a dirt floor. Dirt, yes, but also leaf litter and other materials. Think of it more like a forest floor- you don't see just dirt in the forest, you see lots of leaves and assorted decaying materials.

Wire isn't the kindest option, and it isn't even the cleanest—look into the deep litter method and raising quail on the ground.....

View attachment 1759782

Is that a pic of of one of your quail??? Beautiful!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom