Quail babies are so funny!!

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
OH my! I dropped a little slug into the box of 3 day old quail to see what they would do. Chicken chicks have always just said: YUCK! And run off wiping their beaks.

But oh no... these quail all took turns juts picking and hammering the poor quarter inch slug to death. None of them could pluck it off the yoghurt lid I had dropped it onto, but utterly pulverized the poor thing in place! Just beak slammed it one after another until it was a very soft looking slimy smear on the plastic...and nobody ate it.

It was rather disturbing. LOL At this rate, I think I'd rather be picked to death and swallowed whole by a chicken vs beaten to a dead pulp and left on a yoghurt lid. I thought they'd either react like chickens or swallow it....

*shudder*

As a side note... out of the 6 I have hatched total, the one white one always stands and screams... is this a roo in the making!

Quail are big on eating bugs. I have always fed my quail a variety of bugs, dried or live. Wait until next summer...if you have those cicada's around your area, catch a few of the ones that have just came out of their hard shell. Your quail will go absolutely nuts over them! Just like chickens, when one quail has one of these, the chase will be on!!
smile.png

I'll be getting some meal worms next trip to the store.... I've never seen a cicada in RL.... and these birds will be new year roasting snacks. Unless I can convince the SO that I can keep them as an additional pet here at school. LOL

I will have to check that out, we get alot of sand gnat around here being in thelow country, and they go nuts jumping all around the cage pecking in the air to try and catch as many as they can. I can only imagine with a cicada bug.

silkiechicken, some of my chickens won't even touch a worm. I dropped one in a coop and they looked at it like, "What the heck is that thing?" then went on about their business.
lol.png

Glad to know quail are not that picky.
smile.png

My quail wont touch worms, they love hunting crickets though. Be prepared for pulverized bodies, even when the quail are full they'll kill. I've had to save crickets cause they'd just kill them and go for the next one. I've got mealworms set up in a container for breeding so no snowy trips to the store for winter protien.

Quote:
Maybe you should give them some high quality GBS, and stop thumping slugs/bugs their way. Just a thought.

I don't beer sex other folks birds, unless they are willing, and able to properly feed their birds!

You sound like a totally bad feed monster to me!

"Hello baby, I see you are somebody elses quail. Yes I'm all beered up, but not so drunk to beer sex before asking: Are you properly fed?"

hmm.png
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom