Quail crafts

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 15, 2019
Klamath County, OR
I had so many clear eggs from my hatch that I decided to have some fun. I'd love to see any crafts that anyone else has created from their quail as well!

This was my first attempt at making floating candles. There are improvements to be made, but they're pretty, aren't they?
0928191310.jpg

They are cute! I might start doing that with the shells when I fry eggs - the quail egg cutters seem to cut them open just the right way. I've been wondering if I couldn't DO something with those pretty shells with the perfectly round opening.. Seems like they are not keen on floating straight? Might just keep them in quail sized egg cups when burning them..

:frow

So glad you started this! Love your little candles! I was thinkn about starting a projects thread once i can get my projects really rolling. Ill share pics of my supplies asap. i have a whole Lot of blown out eggs. there were about 100 but i gave some to a friend. now ive got more that need to be done too. This is where i poked holes strategically and put a small straw in to blow the insides out. Get too many bits of egg shell like this so i scramble that and feed those back to the birds.

The shells ive broken open or peeled i bake (at 350 for 20 mins) and then crush for the birds calcium supplement. Theyre real brittle hand crushing is simple and they even turn to powder in the blender. On Etsy theres someone who sells powder as human consumption calcium supplement.

Ive also saved a whole lot of feathers and wings from extra male birds. I am learning to properly taxidermy those and they are in my freezer until i make time to "flesh," "stretch," and salt the hide.

They are cute! I might start doing that with the shells when I fry eggs - the quail egg cutters seem to cut them open just the right way. I've been wondering if I couldn't DO something with those pretty shells with the perfectly round opening.. Seems like they are not keen on floating straight? Might just keep them in quail sized egg cups when burning them..
The crooked float might just have been that one egg. I think I may have cut it crooked when I opened the shell. It burned for almost 2 and a half hours. The other one looks more balanced.

I have three more shells to play with now that I've had breakfast, but I think I'm going to wait until I have half a dozen before I make more. If they don't work as floating candles, I may have to find or make something for a holder. I plan on giving them out as holiday gifts this year.

The crooked float might just have been that one egg. I think I may have cut it crooked when I opened the shell. It burned for almost 2 and a half hours. The other one looks more balanced.

I have three more shells to play with now that I've had breakfast, but I think I'm going to wait until I have half a dozen before I make more. If they don't work as floating candles, I may have to find or make something for a holder. I plan on giving them out as holiday gifts this year.

I love this idea! Is that the wax Walmart sells? Maybe make little holders of your own from wire? How many candles per gift? Like 6 or 9 and holder holds 3 at a time? I think that could be beautiful.

You motivated me to go play w my eggs so while i was takin pics i started putting the first thing together.

Here is goes
Got these frames from CL. Quite the score :yesss: the biggest 3 are 31" x 31" x 6". Smaller are 18 x 18 x 6 and 24 x 12 x 6. Huge.:clap all for 20$ :clap
Screenshot_20190829-230954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then the eggs blown currently

20190929_120305.jpg

In the red are wishbones donno what ima do w them yet:rolleyes:. In the blue are hatched eggs. Wanna make a nest scene at some point.

So today i glued the shavings down in the bottom of the frame as a backround
20190929_121846.jpg

Was a pain in the neck w hot glue id recomend using paste and covering the whole bottom but as is i did it in small sections like this
20190929_121203.jpg

Had some bald areas i had to touch up but came out nice enough.

So without furthure ado i didnt glue the eggs yet but its coming out like this
20190929_123153.jpg

Ive gotta get em all to fit right and hide my holes as i glue but so far, i like it. @Texas Kiki ur gonna wanna see this.

I love this idea! Is that the wax Walmart sells? Maybe make little holders of your own from wire? How many candles per gift? Like 6 or 9 and holder holds 3 at a time? I think that could be beautiful.
I'm using soy wax that I got off of amazon. I have some scented oils that I will use as well. These two are cinnamon scented. The color is a bit of crayon melted into the wax. :oops:

I'm using soy wax that I got off of amazon. I have some scented oils that I will use as well. These two are cinnamon scented. The color is a bit of crayon melted into the wax. :oops:

Dont :oops: thats a great idea! Thats probly better for anyone who suffers allergies and cant handle the strong scents of candles and will be taken as very thoughtful :p myself on the other hand, i :love strong scented candles and id like to know if u think the lil wax drops they sell could do it for me if i tried this project :D cuz i really need another project :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom