Quail died unexpectedly

Ruskin_Roost

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Mission, BC, Canada
I am so devastated to announce that my Coturnix Quail hen, Tux, died tonight. She was healthy, eating, no injuries or warning. She had a difficult hatch in the Spring, and was 1/4 size of her hatch-mates. Early this morning I found her facing a corner in a part of the cage she never ventures to, around 7am. She wasn’t her “usual self” and didn’t cheep or come to greet me, no singing. She laid her last egg outside of her normal egg laying time, about an hour and a half early, which was an atypical wholly dark brown versus her normal cream with dark brown splotches splattered with white. She refused to eat but drank a couple times during the day on her own as well as letting me use an eye dropper to hydrate her with the same vitamin mix that I used for her as a chick. She was not pooping but had a runny bum after her last egg. I had originally thought she may have startled in the night and bonked her head so I just tried to give her time to sleep and recover. I had previously posted that she has been acting aggressive when I take eggs away, and that she has been laying two eggs a day. I wonder if she was malnourished or not getting what she needed for such a large lay each day. She loved eating, had her regular share of quail feed and especially loved her lettuce, random fruit and veg treats, and oyster shell. Mainly, I just need some comfort and to know that Speed Racer will be okay being alone as she is now my only quail. Thank you for your support.
Michelle.

Attachments

• 13AF75E0-9170-4A58-A941-1158AB0EF93F.jpeg
    13AF75E0-9170-4A58-A941-1158AB0EF93F.jpeg
    560.7 KB · Views: 21
  • A7EF4A3A-A964-4C8D-96A9-CA666A40B401.jpeg
    A7EF4A3A-A964-4C8D-96A9-CA666A40B401.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 16
... and the Celadons are doing well. After my breeding partner picked up her's, I got 23 beautiful birds, 4 weeks old. 3 roos are already identified.

Back
Top Bottom