Quail Feed

Flying Penguin Ranch

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2018
I need some clarification... I have been told to use a starter until 6 weeks. The breeders, put on a layer. The ones to be culled use a finisher. Being new to raising Jumbo and White Coturnix Quail, I want to do what is best for them. When I spoke to the milling companies, they would tell me their feeds are considered an "umbrella feed" and is suitable for my needs even though labeled poultry. Not sure, so I wanted to put the question out there.

Bar Ale: Grower (This one is turkey and game bird)
Sunflower Meal, Ground Peas, Wheat - Ground, Ground Corn Non-GMO, Organic Soybean Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Organic Soybean Oil, L-Lysine, Diatomaceous Earth Montmorillonite., Sodium Chloride, Phytase from Aspergillus niger,Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin E Oil, Vitamin E Adsorbate, D-CA Pantothenate, Vitamin A 650, Basic Copper Chloride, Vitamin D3 500, Biotin, Riboflavin, Vitamin K MSBC, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Eddi, Vitamin B12, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, DL-Methionine Dry, Choline Chloride, Hydrolyzed yeast, Brewers dried yeast, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract., Ground Wheat, Alfalfa Meal, Ground Oats, Ground Barley.

Crude Protein (Min) 22.0%
Crude Fat (Min) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (Min) 11.0%
Lysine (Min) 1.3%
Ash (Max) 8.0%

Bar Ale: Layer Crumble Non GMO
Wheat - Ground, Sunflower Meal, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed Meal, Wheat Millrun, Monocalcium Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast and the media Non-GMO, Diatomaceous earth, Phytase from Aspergillus niger,Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin E Oil, Vitamin E Adsorbate, D-CA Pantothenate, Vitamin A 650, Basic Copper Chloride, Vitamin D3 500, Biotin, Riboflavin, Vitamin K MSBC, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Eddi, Vitamin B12, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Choline Chloride, Natural sources of Yellow made of Saponfied Extracts of Marigold Flowers, Phytase from Aspergillus niger, Hydrolyzed yeast, Brewers dried yeast, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract..

Crude Protein (Min) 16.0%
Crude Fat (Min)3.1%
Crude Fiber (Min) 9.2%
Lysine (Min) 0.9%
Ash (Max) 11.5%
Calcium(Min) 3.0%
Calcium (Max) 4.0%
Phosphorus (Min) 0.5%
Sodium (Min) 0.3%
Sodium (Max) 0.6%

Organic Soy-Free Finisher Pellets #6022
Use: During the final period of feeding meat birds or for raising up pullets into layers, beyond 4 to 5 weeks of age, you can switch to these finisher pellets, which are formulated with more grain, to satisfy the energy needs of the broiler. This is also a great grow out feed for turkeys.

Ingredients: Organic corn, organic peas, organic stabilized rice bran, organic wheat, ground limestone, organic flaxseed, organic sun-dried alfalfa, moncalcium phosphate, Redmond Conditioner (clay), Zeolite, diatomaceous earth, organic kelp meal, Redmond Sea Salt, DL Methionine, poultry vitamin & mineral premix, organic garlic granules, organic horseradish powder, organic star anise oil, organic juniper berry oil

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein min 17%, crude fat min 2.7%, crude fiber max 4%, ash max 7.4%

*Organic Soy-Free Layer Crumbles #975
Use: Layer crumbles are formulated to be a complete feed, but are also useful as part of a pasture-based diet. Layer crumbles can be fed starting at 15-18 weeks of age.

Ingredients: Organic corn, organic stabilized rice bran, organic peas, limestone, organic wheat, organic sun-dried alfalfa, organic flaxseed, moncalcium phosphate, Redmond Conditioner (clay), diatomaceous earth, organic kelp meal, Zeolite, Redmond Sea Salt, DL methionine, poultry vitamin & mineral premix, organic garlic granules, organic horseradish powder, organic star anise oil, organic juniper berry oil

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein min 17%, crude fat min 2.6%, crude fiber max 4.0%, ash max 14.4%

Any recommendations on the feed, would be so greatly appreciated. Not easy finding feed in my area (nv).

They need protein. 24% and up is ideal from what I've read doing my research. I've raised quail on 24% chick starter their whole lives and they did fine. I currently use 30% turkey starter and feed that to them from start to finish. I bought some 5 week old birds from some people who used 18%. The birds seemed okay but they have definitely added weight after having them on 30% for the last 2 months.

Of what you mentioned I would go with the 22% turkey/gamebird grower.

They need protein. 24% and up is ideal from what I've read doing my research. I've raised quail on 24% chick starter their whole lives and they did fine. I currently use 30% turkey starter and feed that to them from start to finish. I bought some 5 week old birds from some people who used 18%. The birds seemed okay but they have definitely added weight after having them on 30% for the last 2 months.

Of what you mentioned I would go with the 22% turkey/gamebird grower.
What brand is the 30% turkey starter?

Tucker Milling

20180412_060555.jpg
20180412_060611.jpg

I feed 28% turkey starter and was told by someone with experience that it was fine for the life of the bird because of the benefits of the high protein, I would feed 30 but cant find it, I also supplement with fruits and veggies, they love cucumbers and apples as well as the occasional meal worm! They seem to be thriving. If any of this seems wrong please advise, I'm not too proud to take constructive criticism at all! Thanks all!!

May I ask besides cucumbers what other items do you use. Or is it easier to say what they can't eat? Thank you for responding, you have been so helpful and I greatly appreciate it!!

What makes a feed a "starter" I have a game bird feed with 30%protein for baby quail. It doesn't specify that it's a "starter" feed.... Does that matter?

What makes a feed a "starter" I have a game bird feed with 30%protein for baby quail. It doesn't specify that it's a "starter" feed.... Does that matter?
Probably the protein content and the size of the feed. 1 day old chicks need a small crumble, they can't eat actual pellets. But if yours is too big, you can just crush it for them. There is definitely enough protein.

Back
Top Bottom