Quail housing? Whats best for my situation?

Ahhh...I think on this website we can all get started on..(cough) the dogs.. specifically rude neighbors dogs..😁
You can always add those big lawnmower type wheels to the bottom of a dog kennel or even buy one of those wood & wheels contraptions for moving potted plants on. A few nuts and bolts and you're all set. Hardware cloth will be a must, a snake can wreak havoc on your covey in bird and eggs. Cats. Raccoons. (coughs) Dogs. Everything that eats meat has quail on the menu.

"Most folks" are lazy..they want fully grown laying poultry for a steal and never stop to think...hey this person paid for the feed to feed this animal and they had to clean the poop up, etc, and keep the animal healthy up to this point. It really gets my goat. My husband told people about me selling chicks and some people said oh I want a full grown hen laying eggs. My husband informed that, that would cost more and his wife wouldn't sell them cheap..the person informed him, but you can cut me a deal right? Seriously people, No. Straw is 6 bucks a bale. Food is 20 bucks a bag. Cheap shavings are 7. And I my friend shovel the ***t till then. I do not sell layers.
I actually had someone show up then hem and haw over the price.. like.. I'm selling um for $5 straight run, they wanted um all, so i gave them a small discount to 4$ each. They complained about the drive then offered me 30$ for all of them ... less then 1.50 per chick.. then wanted the set up. Then complained they didnt have enough cash, ran to the gas station and called asking to pay by check😅 I'm pretty sure if I did accept the check, itd bounce. But yeah... folks want a great deal, but dont want to put forth the effort. Luckily I dont really 'need' to sell them. I can easily have a friend butcher them for his family (it's been a hard year for them. So i like our extra meat we get to go to them. )

But, depending what happens , they got till mid july to sell. Females will be kept for layers and males (with the exception of maybe 2) will be processed for food. My buds planning to keep some feathers for fishing so that'll be a plus

Ahhh...I think on this website we can all get started on..(cough) the dogs.. specifically rude neighbors dogs..😁
Omg , dont get me started on this b@&$ on our block. They let their fluffy twat nugget of a dog roam the street for like... almost a solid 2 yrs till someone apperantly shot its tail off. I strongly disliked the dog mainly because its attempts to breed my girl.😑 2k later in fixing our yard and they finally decided its safer to keep it in there yard.

Luckily only things that roam our yard are wild birds, soon to be our dogs, and our neighborhood cat who is fairly efficient in killing rats. ( she watches our chickens, even lays in there pen time to time ... is a egg thief though😂)

T

This is actually similar to what I want to do to the dog kennel. (Also same kennel) it's a bummer to learn they wont really use a 2nd level. I'm debating on getting this run from chewy. It seems plenty big, and would work with the layout I want😅. I'm taking everything everyone gives into account, but we rarely even see most predators where I'm at. Our dogs keep 90% of things out the yard, with the 6' privacy fence going up, that eliminates the cat issue. So biggest predator issue would be aerial View attachment 3145024

Unfortunately, a 6' tall privacy fence may not eliminate your cat issue.

We've let our dog out to do its business, only to have to go outside and try to see what she's raising heck at. Several times, it would be a neighborhood cat sitting on top of the privacy fence.

Unfortunately, a 6' tall privacy fence may not eliminate your cat issue.

We've let our dog out to do its business, only to have to go outside and try to see what she's raising heck at. Several times, it would be a neighborhood cat sitting on top of the privacy fence.
That's a good point... I'll look at all my options though and consult here for more advice when I have a chance

Back
Top Bottom