quail-raised guineafowl

Mo_fawaazzz

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
I had a coturnix quail raise my two guinea keets, and these are the quietest guineafowl I have ever seen. Whenever they are near the quail, they barely make a noise, and they barely get spooked by anything. Compared to guinea-raised keets (that get scared of leaves falling down trees), these keets continue eating with the quail even if a crow flies ahead of them. These keets act exactly like their quail foster as if they forgot all their guinea instincts.

This worked well, but the issue is that adult guineafowl get 5 times larger than quail. Now my keets are huge but they still follow the quail around their pen and sleep besides him. Every time I take the quail away from them they start screaming bloody murder loudly without stopping. If I carry the quail away then they start following me whilst screaming.

I do not think that a small quail would be able to live with two adult guineafowl. When do guineafowl typically leave their parents? The keets do well with my other turkeys and chickens but they favor the quail a lot more. Would the guineafowl start yapping every time I remove the quail from them even when theyre adults? Should I just keep some quail in a closed section in their coop to comfort them?

I had a coturnix quail raise my two guinea keets, and these are the quietest guineafowl I have ever seen. Whenever they are near the quail, they barely make a noise, and they barely get spooked by anything. Compared to guinea-raised keets (that get scared of leaves falling down trees), these keets continue eating with the quail even if a crow flies ahead of them. These keets act exactly like their quail foster as if they forgot all their guinea instincts.

This worked well, but the issue is that adult guineafowl get 5 times larger than quail. Now my keets are huge but they still follow the quail around their pen and sleep besides him. Every time I take the quail away from them they start screaming bloody murder loudly without stopping. If I carry the quail away then they start following me whilst screaming.

I do not think that a small quail would be able to live with two adult guineafowl. When do guineafowl typically leave their parents? The keets do well with my other turkeys and chickens but they favor the quail a lot more. Would the guineafowl start yapping every time I remove the quail from them even when theyre adults? Should I just keep some quail in a closed section in their coop to comfort them?
That's so cool! I have heard there load though.

That's so cool! I have heard there load though.
My uncle raised keets that were raised with other guineafowl and they were an absolute ruckus. They flew a lot and were super loud.

However, I have heard people say that raising guinea keets with a silkie hen or alongside baby chickens can keep them somewhat quieter, so I tried it with a quail, and it worked.

Of course, they do the occasional guinea chatter, but much much less often than guinea-raised keets.

My uncle raised keets that were raised with other guineafowl and they were an absolute ruckus. They flew a lot and were super loud.

However, I have heard people say that raising guinea keets with a silkie hen or alongside baby chickens can keep them somewhat quieter, so I tried it with a quail, and it worked.

Of course, they do the occasional guinea chatter, but much much less often than guinea-raised keets.
I'll have to tell my sister that.

However, I have heard people say that raising guinea keets with a silkie hen or alongside baby chickens can keep them somewhat quieter, so I tried it with a quail, and it worked
And what usually happens once their first breeding season starts isn't funny as they terrorize the chickens. Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. Other poultry don't understand the races and chases. They also don't understand the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and feather breaking.

And what usually happens once their first breeding season starts isn't funny as they terrorize the chickens. Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. Other poultry don't understand the races and chases. They also don't understand the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and feather breaking.
Wow😮

I think that this depends on the breed of chickens and how much land you have. But I can agree that if there are more guineas than chickens then the chickens will go through bullying. But a few keets raised alongside baby chickens can work better and maybe even get quieter guineas.

But a little coturnix quail aint gonna survive the pecking and feather breaking tho! If I remove the quail from them in another week, will they start screaming again or will they understand that its time to fledge from this parent? do guineafowl keets ever leave their parents´ side?

I think that this depends on the breed of chickens and how much land you have. But I can agree that if there are more guineas than chickens then the chickens will go through bullying. But a few keets raised alongside baby chickens can work better and maybe even get quieter guineas.

But a little coturnix quail aint gonna survive the pecking and feather breaking tho! If I remove the quail from them in another week, will they start screaming again or will they understand that its time to fledge from this parent? do guineafowl keets ever leave their parents´ side?
It has happened with just a few guineas to a lot of chickens. It is instinctive guinea behavior. Guineas really need to not be kept as just a couple. They are a flock bird and need more guineas for proper flock dynamics.

Remove the quail. The guineas may scream for awhile but will get over it in time.

I am not sure if this helps (???), but from my little experience with one keet, I found that at five weeks of age... (see post below)
There has also been a notable change in the keet's demand for my attention. I can now leave it alone for longer length's of time without it screaming its heart out. And when I return it is calmly waiting and greets me in a cheerful 'I have missed you' way, instead of a desperate 'where have you been?!!!!!' way.
...and the keet had been spending almost all of day light time with me.
So would it work to perhaps weaning the keets slowly from the quail? ...at around four to five weeks old?
Just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom