Quail Tractor ???

Are cedar boards toxic or just bedding? I was going to use cedar 2x3's for my frame because of rot instead of green treated lumber!

Quote:
MANY FOLKS HAVE TRIED IT... MIXED RESULTS I BELEIVE. BIGGEST THING IS MAKING IT PREDATOR PROOF AND THE FACT THAT MANY FOLKS GREATLY UNDERESTIMATE THE DETERMINATION AND STRENGTH OF SOMETHING THAT IS HUNGRY OR A NATURAL HUNTER

AS FAR AS BEING ON THE GROUND --- THAT ADDS PARASITES AND MORE EXPOSURE TO POSSIBLE DISEASES TO THE EQUATION

X2

Keep your quail on wire off the ground, no matter where you live, do not try to outsmart those who are succesfull with quail.

GET IT?

If you do not get it, or if you know better, do not cry and whine later when something goes wrong with your quail.

I agree and they are going to be off the ground on wire, ~2 inches off the ground and moved daily or every couple days to avoid waste build up, thats why I want wheels on it. am I missing the point, I thought we were talking about "on the ground" as in static not moving and building up waste. should they be 8 inches, 8 feet off the ground? is there a min height/max height? I am being serious. I am not raising mass quantities and in fact only about ten in this pen.

I have been through the cedar debate with the chicken people, they say no shavings, boards are ok. , no fresh cut boards.

now are we playing nice or hating? I have read a bunch of ya'lls posts before even posting, you lurk waiting to hate. peace.

I also live in NY and occasionally put my quail into a "tractor" for the day. I would have them in it 24/7 but I have major problems with predators here (large and small) so I only put them out when I'm around. Keeping your quail on the ground is harmless. A lot of people make you think that they will die instantly of horrible disease if you do, but in reality Coturnix quail are tough as nails and are happier and healthier if kept on the ground. I keep my Coturnix on the ground and have great success. You see a lot more natural behavior from them this way. You do have to keep things clean as you normally would. Yes, parasites are found more on the ground, but with good management they shouldn't be a huge problem.

Most literature on animal husbandry has come from research on large scale production environments, not the small back yard kind of thing most of us have. When raising thousands of birds in confinement you really can run into all sorts of issues naturally, but in a small home flock they are really not too much of a problem. Really the only consideration I find with "tractors" is predator proofing.

pop.gif

Quote:
I don't think it's hate I think that they are all tired of repeating them selves. If you notice in the forum how many people on the quail side post the same thing over and over.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom