Quail treats

I am curious if you have tried cutting it longwise so they can eat it like a trough. Do they prefer the discs?
If it’s cut long ways it tends to get flipped onto a flat side and they have trouble reaching the edible parts. They can’t handle breaking through the rind. The soft parts are accessible from either side of a disc.

I like to sprout mung beans and my coturnix go crazy for them. I think they like the sprouts even more than the black soldier fly larvae, which they adore. I gave them some water melon yesterday and they didn't seem very impressed. Celery and broccoli were summarily rejected.
I sprout mung beans and feed a measured amount each morning. I call it their morning "crack" because they go so crazy for the sprouts. Nothing matters like their sprouts other than soldier fly larvae.

I know you're in Australia, but sprouting is easy. All it takes is the seeds, a quart jar, some water and patience. Unless there's some law that says you can't feed them to your birds, I don't understand why you can't supply them.
Absolutely. I keep sprouts all the time. Table spoon of sprouting seeds per quart jar. I use alfalfa or an anti-oxidant mix that includes alfalfa, broccoli, and clover seeds. I keep 2 or 3 jars in rotation because my birds eat a jar or so per week. You just need to rinse them out 2 or 3 times a day to keep them fresh. Keep them in the dark until the end. I let mine green up a bit at the end. When the sprouts are ready to eat, I replace the screened lid with a solid one and place in the fridge. The trick to keeping them good for a week or more is to dry them. Toward that end, when they go to the fridge, I put a folded paper towel i the jar under the lid and put them in upside down for a day or two until I've soaked up all the moisture I can.

And they are good on sandwiches and such. When I eat them, I will wash most of the hulls out and spin dry in a salad spinner.

Treats my birds have enjoyed in order of how much they like them:
  • Dried insects
    • Black soldier fly larvae
    • Mealworms
  • Fresh greens
    • Basil
    • Alfalfa sprouts
    • Microgreens (baby sprouts of arugula, broccoli, amaranth, beet tops, parsley, kale, etc.)
    • Wheatgrass
    • Dandelion greens
    • Spinach
    • Butter lettuce
    • Romaine lettuce
  • Rolled oats
  • Quinoa
  • Seeds
    • Chia
    • Flax
    • Millet
    • Hulled sunflower