Quails with Bumble foot?

TinaandJohnny

Chirping
Aug 23, 2022
Okay so I think this is Bumblefoot on my quails. I am not entirely sure but have some questions hopefully people can answer.

My quail girls seem to have bumble foot. At first it was just one and now it’s the majority of them, all happened so fast. I bought the neosporin, bandages and episodes salt already. I just want to check with people here to make sure that is what it is. Some of them have small ones on their toes and this girl is the girl with the worst of it. They have a hard wire mesh bottom on their cage and NO wire sticking up. I am confident in that because I’ve check vigorously multiple times. So how did they get it? Is it contagious? I’ve already put towels down now in their cage for the time being until I build their ground enclosure. Ive heard positive things about ground enclosures and want them as happy as possible. I’ve recently put a cabinet liner for their mini ramp for the nesting hut for grip and avoidance of potential cuts or splinters, because I thought that was it. I always keep their enclosure clean and spray out the mesh, OFTEN, especially during summer so they aren’t living in dirty conditions. I think it’s weird because the enclosure I have my two boys in is the exact same and they don’t have it.
Please let me know, I want to get this under control ASAP.

Attachments

• D92FD303-E268-44C5-B6B6-838108F8EF10.jpeg
    D92FD303-E268-44C5-B6B6-838108F8EF10.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 91
Yes, that looks like bumblefoot, and a bad case. Bumblefoot is an infection that usually happens when a small cut or abrasion gets feces in it. The cuts don't have to come from wire, they can come from dried poop, splinters, or just constant rubbing on their feet.

Do they have any place to rest their feet from the wire? A box of dirt will serve as both a bath and a foot rest. That will help keep their feet healthier. Cleanliness is also very important.

Okay so I think this is Bumblefoot on my quails. I am not entirely sure but have some questions hopefully people can answer.

My quail girls seem to have bumble foot. At first it was just one and now it’s the majority of them, all happened so fast. I bought the neosporin, bandages and episodes salt already. I just want to check with people here to make sure that is what it is. Some of them have small ones on their toes and this girl is the girl with the worst of it. They have a hard wire mesh bottom on their cage and NO wire sticking up. I am confident in that because I’ve check vigorously multiple times. So how did they get it? Is it contagious? I’ve already put towels down now in their cage for the time being until I build their ground enclosure. Ive heard positive things about ground enclosures and want them as happy as possible. I’ve recently put a cabinet liner for their mini ramp for the nesting hut for grip and avoidance of potential cuts or splinters, because I thought that was it. I always keep their enclosure clean and spray out the mesh, OFTEN, especially during summer so they aren’t living in dirty conditions. I think it’s weird because the enclosure I have my two boys in is the exact same and they don’t have it.
Please let me know, I want to get this under control ASAP.

Please let me know, I want to get this under control
Yes, that looks like bumblefoot, and a bad case. Bumblefoot is an infection that usually happens when a small cut or abrasion gets feces in it. The cuts don't have to come from wire, they can come from dried poop, splinters, or just constant rubbing on their feet.

Do they have any place to rest their feet from the wire? A box of dirt will serve as both a bath and a foot rest. That will help keep their feet healthier. Cleanliness is also very important.
They have their hut which is off the wire with straw bedding and a large dust bath. They get all out onto the ground also often. I spray the mash cage out once every other day because I don’t like them to be in dirty conditions.

I feel as though it has to be from something that is cutting their feet. They do have a dust bath and a hut that has a nice layer of straw in that they mostly lay their eggs in. They’re all getting the spa treatment tonight. I’m just not sure if I should keep them out of the cage until it heals? What do you think? I have a 50 gallon tote I can keep them in and I only have 6 girls, just wouldn’t be as comfortable until I resolve the issue.

I would keep them in the tote for at least a couple days. I've heard that you can get coating for wire. Is there a chance you can do a thorough cleaning and then spray coat it? I don't know if that will help, though.

I would keep them in the tote for at least a couple days. I've heard that you can get coating for wire. Is there a chance you can do a thorough cleaning and then spray coat it? I don't know if that will help, though.
I just removed as much as I could on the two girls that have it bad. Got them wrapped with antibiotic cream. They all got a 30 minute soak before also. About to clean the cage with Dawn dish soap and we are going to get that coated wire for the bottom and instal it. I’m going to repeat the soaking of everyone tomorrow and re wrap. See how that goes, if not, going to find a vet that will help!

Back
Top Bottom