Quarantine for scaly legs

AquaDuck

Incubator Addict
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
Northern Europe
I went to pick up a couple of roosters yesterday, and the owner failed to inform me that they had scaly leg mites until I was there. So now I have two roo's in quarantine. They're not too badly affected, one hardly visible and the others with some raised scales.
I've treated them with disinfectant soap and vaseline, and have ordered cream specifically for scaly legs that I'll get next week.

I've never had leg mites before, so I don't know what I'm dealing with here. I don't want my other birds to get it!
How contagious is it? Full hazmat suit or physical contact between birds only? How does the mites travel and infect? What sort of quarantine time are we talking for the roo's to not be contagious anymore?

If you are keeping them quarantined for the standard amount of time of at least a month, to watch for any other health issues to show up, then if you've been treating the mites for that time I'd say that would be long enough. The mites burrow into the skin between the scales, they are microscopic, transmittal is usually bird to bird. I've not found them to be horribly contagious. If one of mine shows signs I don't quarantine, I just treat. I've never had more than one bird at a time with it, others may have had a different experience. If I were bringing in new birds I would do as I said above. Of course it also depends on how severe the problem is. If it's really bad I might keep them apart longer until the legs started to look more normal. Yours sound as if it's been caught early, so the standard quarantine with treatment is probably adequate.

If you are keeping them quarantined for the standard amount of time of at least a month, to watch for any other health issues to show up, then if you've been treating the mites for that time I'd say that would be long enough. The mites burrow into the skin between the scales, they are microscopic, transmittal is usually bird to bird. I've not found them to be horribly contagious. If one of mine shows signs I don't quarantine, I just treat. I've never had more than one bird at a time with it, others may have had a different experience. If I were bringing in new birds I would do as I said above. Of course it also depends on how severe the problem is. If it's really bad I might keep them apart longer until the legs started to look more normal. Yours sound as if it's been caught early, so the standard quarantine with treatment is probably adequate.

Thank you, that doesn't sound so bad! Good to know the mites don't crawl on walls or leap into the air. Bird to bird transmission diseases are fairly easy to quarantine.

I went to pick up a couple of roosters yesterday, and the owner failed to inform me that they had scaly leg mites until I was there. So now I have two roo's in quarantine. They're not too badly affected, one hardly visible and the others with some raised scales.
I've treated them with disinfectant soap and vaseline, and have ordered cream specifically for scaly legs that I'll get next week.

I've never had leg mites before, so I don't know what I'm dealing with here. I don't want my other birds to get it!
How contagious is it? Full hazmat suit or physical contact between birds only? How does the mites travel and infect? What sort of quarantine time are we talking for the roo's to not be contagious anymore?
Hello, I am going through the same thing. Two roosters with moderate scaly legs. They are being quarantined, Im dipping legs in oil daily. One roosters vent and chest is very red with no hair. I've been rubbing oil on those areas too. They also aren't eating as well now that I quarantined them. Please advise if I am treating them correctly and if there is anything else I could do.

Kind regards,
Loretta

Back
Top Bottom