Quarantine questions/scaly leg mites on rescue chicken.

AngelaY

Songster
May 22, 2020
Washington state
Ok, so we just rescued a chicken who had been dumped and living in the woods by herself for about a year. I know what I'm supposed to do regarding incorporation, taming, Etc... I just have 2 things I'm not too sure about:

1: I'm very glad she's safe, but I'm terrified that she might have some kind of sickness or disease that could kill my flock. She seems pretty healthy for the most part, but is there any way I can guarantee she won't get my birds sick other than quarantining? I'm definitely going to quarantine, just wondering if there's anything I can do along with quarantining. also, how long should I quarantine her?

2: As I said, she seems healthy for the most part... she seems to have a bad case of scaly leg mites. I've done a little research on how to deal with that, but I would still like a few suggestions from you guys on how to deal with it to make sure I'm doing the best possible thing for her. How would you guys treat scaly leg mites?

TIA

Ok, so we just rescued a chicken who had been dumped and living in the woods by herself for about a year. I know what I'm supposed to do regarding incorporation, taming, Etc... I just have 2 things I'm not too sure about:

1: I'm very glad she's safe, but I'm terrified that she might have some kind of sickness or disease that could kill my flock. She seems pretty healthy for the most part, but is there any way I can guarantee she won't get my birds sick other than quarantining? I'm definitely going to quarantine, just wondering if there's anything I can do along with quarantining. also, how long should I quarantine her?

2: As I said, she seems healthy for the most part... she seems to have a bad case of scaly leg mites. I've done a little research on how to deal with that, but I would still like a few suggestions from you guys on how to deal with it to make sure I'm doing the best possible thing for her. How would you guys treat scaly leg mites?

TIA
There's no guarantee that your ohter chickens won't get sick. If your rescuee looks helthy, she probably is. As for the quarantine, you can keep her in a dog cage with litter on the bottom and food and water accessible. If she is healthy she will want to get out all the time too. As for the mites, you can soak them in olive oil for 5 minutes in the morning and afternoon, or you can use vasaline and slather it on her legs at the same times. Then before you oil/vasaline each day, soak her legs in warm, soapy water. Don't pick the scales though. Keep doing that for a week.

TIA
Please post some photos.

Living in the woods by herself for a year is pretty impressive. She may not take too kindly to being cooped up.

Please post some photos.

Living in the woods by herself for a year is pretty impressive. She may not take too kindly to being cooped up.
yes, I will try to get some pics of her legs tomorrow, it's getting dark over here and parents don't want her in the house yet so I won't be able to get good pictures right now.

I know, I'm extremely impressed with her. We've tried to catch her in the past but she's way too fast and seems to be VERY smart, the only reason we could catch her is she went broody in my great uncle's outdoor wood-burning stove. I also expected her to aggressive, but she's actually really sweet! She let me reach into her kennel and pet her! didn't try to peck me or even shy away from my hand. I'm still shocked.

Quarantine her for 4 weeks, at least 30.5 meters about 100 feet away from your other chickens (or as far as possible). You mentioned that she's broody, are you going to let her brood chicks? I wouldn't until the 4 weeks are up and you know she's not sick as she may very well pass diseases on to the chicks. If you don't won't her to brood, you can use this time to try to break her. Or wait until it passes, seeing as she has been wild for a while.

Back
Top Bottom