Question about Breeding with Dominant White

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
First off, let me say that I do not know how to use the genetics calculator at all.. so if I could just get help in layman's terms, I'd be truly grateful...

I am breeding Naked Necks.. My male is a dominant white. I have two dominant white girls (obviously all chicks will be dominant white correct? At least 100% of the ones I just hatched were).
I have 3 BARRED girls
I have 2 black sex linked NN girls.

Will I get any chicks that aren't white from my barred and BSL girls?

I'm mostly just going to post to mark my spot, to see what the more learned among us say here
wink.png
but here's my thoughts....

In my understanding you could get half colored chicks. The DW basically masks whatever "real" color the bird is, so they still have the genes for that color, it's just hidden. So they can still pass on those genes. I don't know if it's a simple dominant/recessive thing--that's where I got the half colored from. I know there are folks with White Rocks that breed them to a non-barred colored bird and get colored barred offspring, so those Rocks had the genes for barring, the white just masked it.

Again, I'll be interested to see other responses....

I'm mostly just going to post to mark my spot, to see what the more learned among us say here
wink.png
but here's my thoughts....

In my understanding you could get half colored chicks. The DW basically masks whatever "real" color the bird is, so they still have the genes for that color, it's just hidden. So they can still pass on those genes. I don't know if it's a simple dominant/recessive thing--that's where I got the half colored from. I know there are folks with White Rocks that breed them to a non-barred colored bird and get colored barred offspring, so those Rocks had the genes for barring, the white just masked it.

Again, I'll be interested to see other responses....
See I've bred RSL to a Barred Rock rooster and had 50/50 barred and white barred. I'm hoping this will be what happens in this case, but red sex links are red and white.. Not pure white with black spots.. I am not sure if this makes anything different...

I have orders in for the NNs, but many want other colours except white. Hoping it's possible!!

DW mainly affects black pigments and not terribly much on red/brown pigments. That is why a lot of RSL have white tails and necks- it's the DW working on the black yet leaving the red areas mostly unaffected. If it were not for DW, they would be colored same as RIR/production reds.

A clean white bird based on dominant white very often are genetically black for this reason- but also often, they have other genes that help with clearing the white- popular ones are mottle, barring, blue.

Barring and mottle also is useful with making the legs clear yellow as they also affect skin pigmentation.

My guess- the rooster might not be pure DW due to the greyish specks.. that's common in crosses between DW and colored birds.

Either way, results will be very clear as to his purity/non-purity from crosses with the barred and black hens, try to hatch as many chicks though to be sure(more than 10)

DW mainly affects black pigments and not terribly much on red/brown pigments. That is why a lot of RSL have white tails and necks- it's the DW working on the black yet leaving the red areas mostly unaffected. If it were not for DW, they would be colored same as RIR/production reds.

A clean white bird based on dominant white very often are genetically black for this reason- but also often, they have other genes that help with clearing the white- popular ones are mottle, barring, blue.

Barring and mottle also is useful with making the legs clear yellow as they also affect skin pigmentation.

My guess- the rooster might not be pure DW due to the greyish specks.. that's common in crosses between DW and colored birds.

Either way, results will be very clear as to his purity/non-purity from crosses with the barred and black hens, try to hatch as many chicks though to be sure(more than 10)
Kev, just hatched 10 crosses with a mottled houdan. ALL are white with black spots. I hope this doesn't mean the barred hens will give only white chicks.. The male I am using is not the one in the picture. The male I am using is clear white. No spots. I should switch them out maybe? I really want different coloured chicks, as do my customers.

Here are the chicks that just hatched. Both from the same breed mother (Mottled Houdan). I am sure on that, as they have five toes.. He must have got to them before the breeding pens. I was impatient and started incubating only a week after separating (whoops) ;)

Kev, just hatched 10 crosses with a mottled houdan. ALL are white with black spots. I hope this doesn't mean the barred hens will give only white chicks.. The male I am using is not the one in the picture. The male I am using is clear white. No spots. I should switch them out maybe? I really want different coloured chicks, as do my customers.

That's a classic result of breeding a pure dominant white over a black chicken- white with black spots. 10 is borderline number for guessing he is pure or not though.. but that coupled with being a pure white rooster it is easy to be tempted to assume he is pure DW.

For non- white chicks, I would try that spotty roo.

Here are the chicks that just hatched. Both from the same breed mother (Mottled Houdan). I am sure on that, as they have five toes.. He must have got to them before the breeding pens. I was impatient and started incubating only a week after separating (whoops) ;)

Very cute whoopsies. ;)

Back
Top Bottom