Question about Coryza

AngieO

Chirping
6 Years
If some of your of your flock shows symptoms of coryza but others in your flock never get sick are the ones that never get sick and show symptoms still carriers?
My question would be if you cull the sick ones are the ones that never showed symptoms still going to possibly get a new flock sick in the future?
If I have let my whole flock but the sick ones free range, will I have to coop everyone for the next 60 - 90 days or will I still be able to let my flock that never showed symptoms free range?

Do you have a state vet diagnosis on this? Im just curious.
Supposedly, if you vaccinate the carriers will get sick, so you can then cull them. Im not sure if that works, but its probably worthwhile to vaccinate anyway and vaccinate incoming birds. Our backyard chickens are carriers of so many things at this point, that you want to be sure of what you are dealing with.
Im very interested in any answers you get because the state vets dont really deal with this, being completely interested in industrial chicken keeping.
You can talk to Peter Brown and First State Vet Supply. He is the one who believe that vaccination flushes out the carriers of different things, but Im not sure that it works with Coryza. He said it would work with ILT. Your flock has to be well before you can vaccinate.
Melina

I don't have a diagnosis, I was going by symptoms and signs. I am just praying I don't have to start completely over. I have some birds in separate areas that have never been near the sick ones and u have some who have been with the sick ones but never shown any symptoms of being sick.
I was stupid and bought adult chickens from someone and even though they were separate from my flock, they must have been carriers :(

But was there a horrible smell from the mouth? That is the telling thing. I have something here that is maybe a hybrid ILT because it lacks the smell from the mouth and has bleeding from the nose. I am removing and culling any bird that shows even vague symptoms.

If there is not smell (rancid, like you would notice it) then its likely not coryza. Its probably something like MG which is a common strain of the mycoplasma. Have you tried differentantibiotics on it? Because Denaguard will probably work and its something that you can use in their water monthly to stop it from coming back.
Denaguard doesn't need a withdrawal period, so you can use it on the while flock and it will prevent certain eye colds if used monthly or as you see the bubbles.
The thing with most of these things is that you can try to eradicate it by culling your flock and starting over but a wild bird can fly over and you can get it or something worse.
The best thing to do is to vaccinate for what you can, and vaccinate incoming birds, and try to treat what you can. Try to get rid of carriers ifyou can identify them. A bird that gets bubbly eye again and again is probably a carrier.
If you have a state vet that will do necropsies, its probably worth it to submit a bird or two next time you get an outbreak.
If youre not seeing any of that, get a bottle of denaguard and use it monthly as a preventative. Try to build them up with probiotics and vitamins, and hope for the best.
If you have no symptoms, its probably over.
Without the smell its likely not coryza.

Can any one help me out with this?

I would treat with 2 days of sulmet as per label. see if that works. if it does not work in 2 days, try Tylan 50, .02 in the breast daily for 3-5 days. If it doesnt work, move on to Denaguard.
This is probably MG or something like it. Its in the eye and sinus and its not bad yet.
Is it sneezing or whooping? How old is it?

Is this baby on medicated feed? be sure to feed medicated feed for a full 12 weeks. but you will still want to try above.

Back
Top Bottom