Question about Free-Ranging Pheasants

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
It seems like there are a lot people in the Pacific Northwest that raise pheasants and pretty much just release them into the wilds of their neighborhoods. Right now there is a pheasant that is enjoying the back half of our property that we do not use for anything yet.

I was wondering if it would be practical to raise pheasants in this manner and use them as early predator detection, as pheasants seem to be very skittish and somewhat loud when disturbed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I think I really just want to justify raising a few pheasants and trying to keep them around.
roll.png

Just as long asyou check with your states regulations and get a permit if you need to have one (almost deffinatly you do) and just as long as you dont mind people hunting your birds if they go on public hunting land. I'd do it (if i got a permit), but realistically I know that others would hunt my birds as the property behind our woods is public hunting land, foxes would eat a high number of them, as would roaming coyotes and what not....so I'd probably only be left with an occational sighting that i'd hunt myself.
smile.png
I wouldnt expect them to be early warning birds as I'd expect them to wander off to an idea area to feed and hide away from people. My school raised pheasants, and they did warn while kept in the pen, but when they were released never saw them again because they dispersed to fields and such.

They may or may not stick around and even if they do you probably will never catch them again. Once you release pheasants from a pen they are basically wildlife. They don't come home to roost, they have no attachment to you, and they will be near impossible to catch. Most will get eaten by predators.

Thanks for the input, both of you.

Yes, I wouldn't have much expectations of them staying close to "home" or not getting hunted. I just have noticed pheasants using my land regularly anyway, so I figure it might be fun to encourage them.

I might even consider hunting them if they got densely populated.
wink.png
But more likely I would just enjoy their presence.

I will look into the permitting issue.

Quote:
sounds cool if ya get them and do that you'll have to keep us updated on if they stay around and such would be neat to hear about! Esp if you can include pictures
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png

Well I will certainly report back!

Right now I'm trying to get the ring-neck male to tolerate my presence enough before I start snapping photos.
smile.png

You could catch a few hens maybe a couple roosters if you have a four wheeler to chase them, Pheasants are more interested in running from you than flying from you. Yoou could most likley catch a coupel hens because they don't really fly until they are pretty much stepped on. Good luck. They would also not stay in your yard like a chicken would. They are wild bird even when raised by humans, even when raised in a pen. Oh that loud noise is probably a rooster's cackle when they fly up in to the air. It gives you quite a scare when it happens by surprise next to you. But the hens don't make much noise so you should try roosters for the reason that you want them for.
smile.png

I dont think catching wild birds is a good idea..I think against the law here.Even if you have a hunting license,here anyway you are not allowed to take hens..roosters only.

Back
Top Bottom