Question about my chickens and ducks?

AnimalCrazed

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2011
Idaho
I asked this in another thread but it never got answered: I need advice! I have a dozen chickens with a roo, and two ducks one male one female. They were all raised together. They are all around 14 weeks. I'm just worried about; 1) that the female mallard is getting too much attention from the rooster. 2) if the blue Swedish drake will try to mate with the chickens (and "hurt" them)... So far I haven't seen him doing anything. So my question is: is it best to rehome the drake, or both, or just try keeping them all together?
I could really use some help I can't decide! I haven't had ducks before!

I asked this in another thread but it never got answered: I need advice! I have a dozen chickens with a roo, and two ducks one male one female. They were all raised together. They are all around 14 weeks. I'm just worried about; 1) that the female mallard is getting too much attention from the rooster. 2) if the blue Swedish drake will try to mate with the chickens (and "hurt" them)... So far I haven't seen him doing anything. So my question is: is it best to rehome the drake, or both, or just try keeping them all together?
I could really use some help I can't decide! I haven't had ducks before!
@dan26552 should be able to help. I have summoned him! :)

my drakes are both MIA and my Roos chase the ducks off, mostly to get access to their scratch. Otherwise there seems to be no animosity, just feed envy. I wish I could convince my muscovies to go INTO the chicken pen at night instead of roosting on top the coop. I think the chickens would be fine with it

Attachments

• duck coop.jpg
    duck coop.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 5
It is interesting raising them together, I feel like my chickens mannerisms are different from other flocks I've raised! They all probably think they are the same thing! So you don't think my drake will try anything with the chickens? And the roo won't hurt the mallard hen?

It is interesting raising them together, I feel like my chickens mannerisms are different from other flocks I've raised! They all probably think they are the same thing! So you don't think my drake will try anything with the chickens? And the roo won't hurt the mallard hen?
The Roo will not hurt the mallard hen. Worst he can do is pluck a few feathers. The drake could hurt the hens if he can catch them, but your roo will most likely intervene first. If everybody has room to free range They will stay out of each other's way in my opinion

Okay awesome. so my enclosed run is somewhere in the 280 to 300 square feet. Do you think that's adequate space. I could try free ranging, but there are quite a few preadors here!

Back
Top Bottom