Question about protein

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I keep reading about how you need to keep the protein percentage on the lower side, only to give mealworms occasionally, etc. But when I let my girls out to free range they go crazy eating bugs (especially the cicadas right now). Do chickens just kind of know when enough is enough? Is there really such a thing as to much protein? Or is the protein in feed so much different than the protein they get by eating a million of these bugs?

I keep reading about how you need to keep the protein percentage on the lower side
That's odd, because I keep reading about the benefits of higher protein.
There must be lots of different people who say different things about it :idunno

only to give mealworms occasionally
Mealworms have a lot of fat, too. I think the fat is a bigger problem than the protein with mealworms.

But when I let my girls out to free range they go crazy eating bugs (especially the cicadas right now).
They should be fine.

Do chickens just kind of know when enough is enough?
They might overdo a little bit one way or another, but they will not usually eat enough to cause major problems.

Is there really such a thing as to much protein?
If you fed them pure protein, with NO fat and NO grains and NO fiber, they would have problems.

But actually feeding so much protein it causes a problem is very rare. I don't think you need to worry about it.

Protein is expensive, so feed manufacturers tend to put in as little as possible, but a bit more does not hurt the chickens.

That's odd, because I keep reading about the benefits of higher protein.
There must be lots of different people who say different things about it :idunno

Mealworms have a lot of fat, too. I think the fat is a bigger problem than the protein with mealworms.

They should be fine.

They might overdo a little bit one way or another, but they will not usually eat enough to cause major problems.

If you fed them pure protein, with NO fat and NO grains and NO fiber, they would have problems.

But actually feeding so much protein it causes a problem is very rare. I don't think you need to worry about it.

Protein is expensive, so feed manufacturers tend to put in as little as possible, but a bit more does not hurt the chickens.
Thank you! It definitely seems to depend on who you ask I guess. My babies are happy and healthy so far, so I guess we're good. They're loving all the bugs 😂

I feed my Chickens, all ages a 18% Protein feed.
I don't buy bugs, mealworms for them.
My chickens free range an hour before sunset daily and dig up grubs, worms and bugs.
20201011_174138_resized.jpg
20201010_173557_resized.jpg
20201128_161010_resized.jpg

I've fed different levels of Protein feed. From 16 to 20%.
I've only had a problem when I switched to a 16% Protein layers feed, from 18%. Feather Picking.

Returning back to higher Protein 18% and Pinless Peepers for 3 weeks.

Feeding more than 20% Protein feed to chickens can result in smelly poop.
I've noticed more smell when opening coops in the morning lately with more bugs for chickens to find. GC

You aren't going to have a problem w/ too much protein. "Extra" protein is good for easing molting, its good for weight gain on meaties, its good for your roosters, its good for their health generally, and it helps them with the winter months.

16% layer feed is the absolute minimum average diet (that is, its the cheapest they can feed the birds for!) for commercial layers in commercial conditions with a productive lifespan that is rather short - at which point, they are replaced with fresh layers, while they go on to become dog and cat food (I assume). A year and a half, by many estimates.

20% protein is the highest you will likely find around you commercially, as grower/starter, as flock raiser, as all flock, etc - not because higher protein is necessarily bad for chickens, but because it rapidly becomes more expensive than the market will bear, because the cost/growth ratio starts falling off pretty fast (I've seen 24% specifically for raising meaties to market weight in 2 months, but that's not a cost-effective diet for layers), and because a significant amount of research out there strongly suggests that protein greater than 24% is associated with increased incidence of "angel wing" in ducks, making a "high" protein All Flock mix rather counterproductive.

Game Bird mixes, as @MysteryChicken observes, are up to 30% protein for rapid weight gain on turkeys and the like.

I mix my own feed based on what's available from the local mill at a good price, and routinely incorporate a bag or two of game bird into lower protein feed to up its numbers - my flock seems to appreciate, my wallet does not. 18-20% protein provides me the best mix of weight gain for the price while maintaining an otherwise healthy flock - where exactly it balances out varies with feed price - which seemingly changes weekly.

Mealworms are a great protein source, but like BOSS, they are VERY high in fat - one of the reasons treats are cautioned against - its easy to unbalance a diet, while meaning well.

and my flock (in Sig, below) free ranges too - its how I've gotten my feed down to just 300-350# per month. Mine tend to gorge for a bit in the AM, or after a rain, then go siesta thru the mid day heat when their bellies are full. I don't recall any news ever about backyard flocks suffering health effects after gorging on a cicada hatching, or a locust swarm, though such things have happened for centuries. Think its safe to relax on that score.

Last edited:
You aren't going to have a problem w/ too much protein. "Extra" protein is good for easing molting, its good for weight gain on meaties, its good for your roosters, its good for their health generally, and it helps them with the winter months.

16% layer feed is the absolute minimum average diet (that is, its the cheapest they can feed the birds for!) for commercial layers in commercial conditions with a productive lifespan that is rather short - at which point, they are replaced with fresh layers, while they go on to become dog and cat food (I assume).

20% protein is the highest you will likely find around you commercially, as grower/starter, as flock raiser, as all flock, etc - not because higher protein is necessarily bad for chickens, but because it rapidly becomes more expensive than the market will bear, because the cost/growth ratio starts falling off pretty fast (I've seen 24% specifically for raising meaties to market weight in 2 months), and because a significant amount of research out there strongly suggests that protein greater than 24% is associated with increased incidence of "angel wing" in ducks, making a "high" protein All Flock mix rather counterproductive.

Game Bird mixes, as @MysteryChicken observes, are up to 30% protein for rapid weight gain on turkeys and the like.

I mix my own feed based on what's available from the local mill at a good price, and routinely incorporate a bag or two of game bird into lower protein feed to up its numbers - my flock seems to appreciate, my wallet does not. 18-20% protein provides me the best mix of weight gain for the price while maintaining an otherwise healthy flock - where exactly it balances out varies with feed price - which seemingly changes weekly.

Mealworms are a great protein source, but like BOSS, they are VERY high in fat - one of the reasons treats are cautioned against - its easy to unbalance a diet, while meaning well.

and my flock (in Sig, below) free ranges too - its how I've gotten my feed down to just 300-350# per month. Mine tend to gorge for a bit in the AM, or after a rain, then go siesta thru the mid day heat when their bellies are full. I don't recall any news ever about backyard flocks suffering health effects after gorging on a cicada hatching, or a locust swarm, though such things have happened for centuries. Think its safe to relax on that score.
I'll have to check out the price for the Game bird feed from my feed store. I might try it as a protein supplement in case my birds aren't getting enough.

16% layer feed is the absolute minimum average diet (that is, its the cheapest they can feed the birds for!) for commercial layers in commercial conditions with a productive lifespan that is rather short - at which point, they are replaced with fresh layers, while they go on to become dog and cat food (I assume). A year and a half, by many estimates.

20% protein is the highest you will likely find around you commercially, as grower/starter, as flock raiser, as all flock, etc - not because higher protein is necessarily bad for chickens, but because it rapidly becomes more expensive than the market will bear, because the cost/growth ratio starts falling off pretty fast (I've seen 24% specifically for raising meaties to market weight in 2 months), and because a significant amount of research out there strongly suggests that protein greater than 24% is associated with increased incidence of "angel wing" in ducks, making a "high" protein All Flock mix rather counterproductive.

This is super informative, thank you!

I don't remember who, but someone a few years ago, or so told me mixing feeds ruins the quality, or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom