question about sexing wyandotte chicks

Hansen4211

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 27, 2011
Timmonsville, South Carolina
I know everyone says that its hard to sex chicks when they are a week old. I have 3 that are the same and one is much darker. So Im assuming that I have either 3 roosters and one hen, or 3 hens and one rooster. Any ideas?

Can you see the difference between the two?
The one on the right has a lot more black on it.
I have 3 of the one on the left.
I do believe that the ones on the left are cockerels.
They are now standing striaght up and pecking at each other.
Which means I am going to have to find a home for two of them.

I just added this one for fun because they crack me up how nosey they are. But it does show the difference in there little tummies.

Cute chickies!!

I just got my first chicks a year ago and just hatched my first eggs 10 days ago, so I'm certainly no expert. But I spend a LOT of time hanging over the brooder and reading here on the forum.
So these are just observations
hu.gif

Seems like the down or feather color in chicks would only be valuable for sexing if there is a difference in the color of the adults in the breed, like a Salmon Faverolles. Some breeds have differences in the chicks pattern that are gender indentifiers, like Welsummers, but I don't think color is relevant there, more the pattern.

I did try feather-sexing the SLW and the splash BLRW from my recent hatch because I read that this was a breed where that might apply. I have to say they were classic examples of male/female feather patterns. And now that they are 10 days old, other signs like faster feathering on the female, thicker legs on the male, etc. are still holding true to what the feather-sexing indicated. But only time will tell for sure.

http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld001.htm

The legs on the chick on the right do look a bit thicker than the others to me.

I have 20 chicks in my brooder and they are all standing up and challenging each other at this age, so not sure that's a sign. Hopefully some experts will step in here. Good luck with your babies.

Cute chickies!!

I just got my first chicks a year ago and just hatched my first eggs 10 days ago, so I'm certainly no expert. But I spend a LOT of time hanging over the brooder and reading here on the forum.
So these are just observations
hu.gif

Seems like the down or feather color in chicks would only be valuable for sexing if there is a difference in the color of the adults in the breed, like a Salmon Faverolles. Some breeds have differences in the chicks pattern that are gender indentifiers, like Welsummers, but I don't think color is relevant there, more the pattern.

I did try feather-sexing the SLW and the splash BLRW from my recent hatch because I read that this was a breed where that might apply. I have to say they were classic examples of male/female feather patterns. And now that they are 10 days old, other signs like faster feathering on the female, thicker legs on the male, etc. are still holding true to what the feather-sexing indicated. But only time will tell for sure.

http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld001.htm

The legs on the chick on the right do look a bit thicker than the others to me.

I have 20 chicks in my brooder and they are all standing up and challenging each other at this age, so not sure that's a sign. Hopefully some experts will step in here. Good luck with your babies.

Thanks for the info. This is my first time with chickens and babies so any info is appreciated

Back
Top Bottom