Question of the Day - Sunday, April 21st, 2024

I’m really not sure. A lot of the furniture in my house is from when my parents were in college and they got it used from somewhere else…

My dad has also made a lot of our furniture, I don’t think we’ve ever bought anything new 😅

We just gave away all of our antique furniture to the oldest kid. He wanted it and we don't need it, so he's got a late 1800's china cabinet and hutch, and a mid-century naugahyde sleeper sofa now. The only thing we kept was my wife's cedar chest, which was made in the 1910's. We have some other non-furniture antiques as well that we'll hold onto for a while. I have some things coming from my father/grandfathers as well. but they're things that go "pew pew!" so I don't want to say a lot.

We have an old, old table that my friend who specializes in dating antiques dated for me once. She said it came from a pub in England probably in the 1800's if I recall correctly. It's not particularly valuable though, I don't think, as it's a bit beat up. It may be older than that, I really don't remember what she said, just that it's really old. My DH's dad got it from his mom but he does not know the provenance on it further back than that. It has like five leaves for extending it, we use three. It had some green paint splashed on it and a cigar burn or two so about 7 years ago I sanded it down and refinished the top; it was not the first time it had been refinished. That cuts down on its value. I'll post a pic of its legs when I get home later. It's almost black from wood smoke from the pub, she said.

I'm still kicking myself for this one. Hubby and I had an old stage coach trunk. That was confirmed to have gone across the Oregon Trail. We sold it. I still beat myself up for that one, of all the things we've sold on Ebay over the years, this one hurts

Back
Top Bottom