Question Regarding Breeding Lavender Ameraucana Roo to Other Colored Ameraucana Hens

tallyhoally

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2014
I am very new to the whole chicken thing, so pardon my ignorance. I am wanting to get an Ameraucana Roo to have the chance to eventually hatch some Ameraucana chicks. Don't know that I ever will, but if I am getting a roo I thought I might shold get within the breed I have. I currently have 2 silver amercauna pullets, 2 wheaton Ameraucana pullets, and 2 Ameraucana pullets with the black and gold (I don't think this is a recognized color, but I have them nonetheless). I am looking to get a roo and have the opportunity to get a free Laveneder roo that would mix well age wise with my current flock. If I was eventually able to hatch eggs from the Lavender roo to my different pullet colors what would I get and would this be desirable or undesirable. If I was going to get a Ameraucana roo to cross to my pullets would there be a better color choice than the lavender and if so, what color.

Thanks for any help.

It would be undesirable. Lavender so far is not a recognized Ameraucana color so technically, they are still considered Easter Eggers, as far as I know. Secondly, all you'll get is oddly colored birds who carry a lavender gene. I think you can only breed them with lavender to breed true or black, so you get blacks that carry lavender. Hopefully, someone else who knows more will answer this one.

For wheaten, you can breed wheaten or blue wheaten, maybe splash wheaten, though I'm not sure many like to do that one, but can't mix other varieties in or they'll be messed up. Blue, black and splash are acceptable together.

Last edited:
The best option to still (oddly) get what is considered a pure breed would be to breed to blue. You would get Black and blue chicks resulting in the F1 cross. Crossed back to lavender you would get Blue lavender, pure lavender, blue and black carrying lavender. The latter would still be considered APA if i understand it correctly (which I doubt).

See this thread for blue/lavender discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/863346/lavender-and-blue-genes-cross-outcome

Back
Top Bottom