question regarding feeding chickens to avoid mice

Scotty from BI

Songster
Aug 26, 2015
I would like to withhold food from the flock for up to about three hours in the morning.

Let me explain. until recently, I have been waking up every morning when the chickens wake at the crack of dawn and putting food in their closed run. I put the food away at night to keep rats and mice away. But it is getting harder and harder to wake up every morning as I age and days get longer. So I began leaving the feeder available over night to give them access in the morning. Now for the first time I am seeing mice. I have killed about one a day with traps (Put out 10 baited traps) but that is not really a solution since they reproduce quickly and will soon learn to avoid the traps.

Would it cause any harm to have the chickens wait for me to wake up before their first feeding, possibly up to 3 or more hours after they wake. They do have access to water and can get into the run. Once I put the food down it will be available all day until they go to sleep.

I am not a fan of the treadle feeders since seeing mice get into the cracks spaces of these feeders. Mice seem to be able to get into anything.

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks guys, I guess my concern was that they might start to become more aggressive toward one another with no food when they emerge from the coop
Are they already picking on each other? If so this might make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom