Question regarding Polish Breeding Coloring/Genetics

The rooster is frizzled, so to avoid frazzled chicks, you only want to breed him with not-frizzled females. So you will need to check the feather type of each pullet as they grow up.

If a pullet does not have frizzled feathers, then she should not be able to produce frazzle chicks, no matter what feather type her parents had.
Thank you! So out of curiosity, is our rooster (silkie/frizzled/satin) considered a Sizzle? I know that’s not a breed… but what do I call him since technically he’s not a silkie because of his feathers…? 🤔

Some of these chicken names/breeds that are out there are… well far out there! 😝

I’ll stick with Little Freak for now. Lol

Thank you! So out of curiosity, is our rooster (silkie/frizzled/satin) considered a Sizzle? I know that’s not a breed… but what do I call him since technically he’s not a silkie because of his feathers…? 🤔

Some of these chicken names/breeds that are out there are… well far out there! 😝

I’ll stick with Little Freak for now. Lol
Sizzles have frizzled feathers that lack structure and barbs. So a silkie feather that is also frizzled. Frizzles are normal feathers that are frizzled

Just call him a mixed breed, and list what's in the mix. There is no special name for what he is.

Sizzles have frizzled feathers that lack structure and barbs. So a silkie feather that is also frizzled. Frizzles are normal feathers that are frizzled
:goodpost:

Just wanted to say you all nailed it when it came to genetics and coloring! Thanks again for the insight.

Attachments

• 26F681D8-47A9-40C4-8666-001CBD0285DE.jpeg
    26F681D8-47A9-40C4-8666-001CBD0285DE.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 8
More updated pics and a couple more questions. I’m trying to learn. Thank you in advance! :)

Let’s say these white chicks (Polkies) were roosters, what color pattern and traits would I get if I bred them back to a buff laced polish hen? Would these polkie chicks be considered to have dominate white genes or recessive?

Also, what color/traits would be expected if my naked neck chick (if female) breeds with our blue frizzle satin Silkie?

Attachments

• D62DCF07-5DF8-4F2F-B933-9165F8E59B3D.png
    D62DCF07-5DF8-4F2F-B933-9165F8E59B3D.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 0CF69077-C328-4DB9-82BD-BD186D1E791F.jpeg
    0CF69077-C328-4DB9-82BD-BD186D1E791F.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 7
  • A84DA44F-962E-4685-8210-9042A548B323.png
    A84DA44F-962E-4685-8210-9042A548B323.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 27A22447-FB1D-4A69-8B0B-97681F45E200.png
    27A22447-FB1D-4A69-8B0B-97681F45E200.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
Let’s say these white chicks (Polkies) were roosters, what color pattern and traits would I get if I bred them back to a buff laced polish hen? Would these polkie chicks be considered to have dominate white genes or recessive?
If their mother is the Buff Laced Polish (white laced gold), and their father is blue, then they have dominant white (turns black to white, even if the chicken also has the gene to turn black to blue.)

They show white almost all over, so they got the genes for black-all-over from their father, and the genes for lacing from their mother.

They got the gold gene from their mother (if they are males), and I don't know whether they got gold or silver from their father (since his color does not allow it to show.)

So crossing them to the Buff Laced Polish hen (white laced gold), I would expect:
--about half of chicks will look white. These are the ones who inherit the genes for black-all-over, plus Dominant White to turn all that black into white. All males will carry gold from their mother, but will not show it (except maybe as a bit of leakage in the white.) Depending on what is passed down from the original blue rooster, the chicks may have the gold or the silver gene (gold or silver daughters, gold or silver/gold split sons). Chicks may also have the blue gene, but again it won't show because of the white. Some chicks will be pure for Dominant White, others will be split and are more likely to show bits of black or blue.

--the other half of the chicks will have the genes to show a pattern of black & gold. This pattern might be lacing, but is likely to be incomplete lacing or some other arrangement that has no specific name. They will not actually look black and gold, because the black will be changed to white (Dominant White). They may show gold, or they may show silver (if the original blue rooster had the silver gene.) So either white patterning on gold, or white patterning on silver. Half will be pure for Dominant White, half will be split (might show bits of black or blue.) Some chicks might have the blue gene, but you won't be able to tell, because all the black is already changed to white.

It looks like one white chick is frizzled, the other not.
Crossing the smooth chick to a smooth hen will give only smooth chicks.
Crossing the frizzled chick to a smooth hen should give half frizzled chicks, half smooth chicks.

All chicks should have crests.
Chicks are likely to have feathered feet, but there is a chance of a few clean feet.
If a cockerel has 5 toes, half of his chicks probably will too. If a cockerel has the normal 4 toes per foot, his chicks are likely to all have 4 toes too.

The skin of the legs will mostly show black, gray, or slate/blue. You've got several skin color genes involved, and some of the feather color genes also have an effect on the color of the leg skin.

Also, what color/traits would be expected if my naked neck chick (if female) breeds with our blue frizzle satin Silkie?
That rooster is her father, right?

Chicks in black, blue, and splash.
About 1/2 of chicks with naked necks.

Most or all chicks should have crests and feathered feet. If she has a 5th toes, most of all chicks should also have 5th toes. If she has 4 toes, then probably half of the chicks will have 4 toes and the other half will have 5 toes.

Skin color will be black on most of the chicks, but may be lighter on some (especially on chicks with splash feathers.)

He is frizzled and she is not, so half of chicks should be frizzled and the other half should have smooth feathers.

There is a chance of chicks with silkie-type feathers. If he has the silkie gene, and if she inherited that gene from him, then 1/4 of the chicks will show silkie feathers. But if he does not have the silkie gene, or if he has it but she did not inherit it, then you will not get any chicks with silkie feathers.

...what color pattern and traits would I get...
I have broken it down into parts, as I considered various genes and combinations of genes. But then all the different genes get combined in various ways into a chicken. So you could easily get hatches where every chick has a unique combination of traits.

Just considering a few of the genes: from the naked neck pullet, chicks could be naked neck or not, could be frizzled or not, and could be black/blue/splash.
Which could give:

frizzled black naked necks
smooth black naked necks
frizzled black not-naked
smooth black not-naked
frizzled blue naked necks
smooth blue naked necks
frizzled blue not-naked
smooth blue not-naked
frizzled splash naked necks
smooth splash naked necks
frizzled splash not-naked
smooth splash not-naked

And they could be males or females, and there are still other traits to consider....

The chicken calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html
will give a listing of all the possible combinations.
But I find it easier to think about if I consider each gene separately, except when it is affected by another gene (like Dominant White making it so you can't see black/blue/splash, or black all over making you unable to see gold/silver.)

If their mother is the Buff Laced Polish (white laced gold), and their father is blue, then they have dominant white (turns black to white, even if the chicken also has the gene to turn black to blue.)

They show white almost all over, so they got the genes for black-all-over from their father, and the genes for lacing from their mother.

They got the gold gene from their mother (if they are males), and I don't know whether they got gold or silver from their father (since his color does not allow it to show.)

So crossing them to the Buff Laced Polish hen (white laced gold), I would expect:
--about half of chicks will look white. These are the ones who inherit the genes for black-all-over, plus Dominant White to turn all that black into white. All males will carry gold from their mother, but will not show it (except maybe as a bit of leakage in the white.) Depending on what is passed down from the original blue rooster, the chicks may have the gold or the silver gene (gold or silver daughters, gold or silver/gold split sons). Chicks may also have the blue gene, but again it won't show because of the white. Some chicks will be pure for Dominant White, others will be split and are more likely to show bits of black or blue.

--the other half of the chicks will have the genes to show a pattern of black & gold. This pattern might be lacing, but is likely to be incomplete lacing or some other arrangement that has no specific name. They will not actually look black and gold, because the black will be changed to white (Dominant White). They may show gold, or they may show silver (if the original blue rooster had the silver gene.) So either white patterning on gold, or white patterning on silver. Half will be pure for Dominant White, half will be split (might show bits of black or blue.) Some chicks might have the blue gene, but you won't be able to tell, because all the black is already changed to white.

It looks like one white chick is frizzled, the other not.
Crossing the smooth chick to a smooth hen will give only smooth chicks.
Crossing the frizzled chick to a smooth hen should give half frizzled chicks, half smooth chicks.

All chicks should have crests.
Chicks are likely to have feathered feet, but there is a chance of a few clean feet.
If a cockerel has 5 toes, half of his chicks probably will too. If a cockerel has the normal 4 toes per foot, his chicks are likely to all have 4 toes too.

The skin of the legs will mostly show black, gray, or slate/blue. You've got several skin color genes involved, and some of the feather color genes also have an effect on the color of the leg skin.

That rooster is her father, right?

Chicks in black, blue, and splash.
About 1/2 of chicks with naked necks.

Most or all chicks should have crests and feathered feet. If she has a 5th toes, most of all chicks should also have 5th toes. If she has 4 toes, then probably half of the chicks will have 4 toes and the other half will have 5 toes.

Skin color will be black on most of the chicks, but may be lighter on some (especially on chicks with splash feathers.)

He is frizzled and she is not, so half of chicks should be frizzled and the other half should have smooth feathers.

There is a chance of chicks with silkie-type feathers. If he has the silkie gene, and if she inherited that gene from him, then 1/4 of the chicks will show silkie feathers. But if he does not have the silkie gene, or if he has it but she did not inherit it, then you will not get any chicks with silkie feathers.

I have broken it down into parts, as I considered various genes and combinations of genes. But then all the different genes get combined in various ways into a chicken. So you could easily get hatches where every chick has a unique combination of traits.

Just considering a few of the genes: from the naked neck pullet, chicks could be naked neck or not, could be frizzled or not, and could be black/blue/splash.
Which could give:

frizzled black naked necks
smooth black naked necks
frizzled black not-naked
smooth black not-naked
frizzled blue naked necks
smooth blue naked necks
frizzled blue not-naked
smooth blue not-naked
frizzled splash naked necks
smooth splash naked necks
frizzled splash not-naked
smooth splash not-naked

And they could be males or females, and there are still other traits to consider....

The chicken calculator http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html
will give a listing of all the possible combinations.
But I find it easier to think about if I consider each gene separately, except when it is affected by another gene (like Dominant White making it so you can't see black/blue/splash, or black all over making you unable to see gold/silver.)
Thank you for your time in explaining this! And yes the only rooster involved was our Blue frizzle/satin/Silkie

I’m back! 😅 I gave some of my buff laced polish eggs to a friend so that she could hatch them (roosters & Hens are both buff laced)

I also gave her some eggs from my Easter egger/NN and a blue satin Silkie/NN hen. Potential roosters they could have mated with would have been our Blue Frizzle (satin) Silkie rooster or a Buff Laced Polish Rooster.

The chicks she hatched hatched light grey, buff, and black… one is looking like a golden laced polish! I’m so confused, could it be possible for my buff polish be throwing a golden laced chick?

Thank you in advance! Pictures are the chicks and potential parents and chicks. unfortunately no chicks had naked necks. :-/

Attachments

• 6A859263-C5D0-4E49-BEA9-6EB3603D0F45.jpeg
    6A859263-C5D0-4E49-BEA9-6EB3603D0F45.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 065B521D-2AC6-4F0D-AA34-548F6CEBABB3.jpeg
    065B521D-2AC6-4F0D-AA34-548F6CEBABB3.jpeg
    631.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 430A5141-E15A-457C-92F5-720DF887FA87.jpeg
    430A5141-E15A-457C-92F5-720DF887FA87.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 0
  • FF4D1DCC-E02A-404B-8FAC-036A56A0DB21.jpeg
    FF4D1DCC-E02A-404B-8FAC-036A56A0DB21.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 0
  • BDAA879A-4BE2-46CD-A112-133094CC6F57.jpeg
    BDAA879A-4BE2-46CD-A112-133094CC6F57.jpeg
    749.3 KB · Views: 0
I gave some of my buff laced polish eggs to a friend so that she could hatch them (roosters & Hens are both buff laced)

The chicks... one is looking like a golden laced polish! I’m so confused, could it be possible for my buff polish be throwing a golden laced chick?
Yes, that is possible for some Buff Laced Polish. The gene that turns black into white is a dominant gene. So a Polish can have white lacing, but carry the gene that allows black. If you have two Polish like that, about 3/4 of their chicks will show white lacing (inherited from one parent or the other or both), and the other 1/4 of their chicks will show black lacing (Golden Laced Polish.)

For a Buff Laced Polish that has two genes turning black into white, it will give one of those genes to every chick, so no chicks from that parent will ever show black lacing.

Depending on how many roosters and how many hens you have, and which ones do (or do not) carry that gene allowing black lacing, and which ones do (or do not) actually mate with each other, you could get anywhere from no Golden Laced chicks up to 1/4 of chicks Golden Laced.

Yes, that is possible for some Buff Laced Polish. The gene that turns black into white is a dominant gene. So a Polish can have white lacing, but carry the gene that allows black. If you have two Polish like that, about 3/4 of their chicks will show white lacing (inherited from one parent or the other or both), and the other 1/4 of their chicks will show black lacing (Golden Laced Polish.)

For a Buff Laced Polish that has two genes turning black into white, it will give one of those genes to every chick, so no chicks from that parent will ever show black lacing.

Depending on how many roosters and how many hens you have, and which ones do (or do not) carry that gene allowing black lacing, and which ones do (or do not) actually mate with each other, you could get anywhere from no Golden Laced chicks up to 1/4 of chicks Golden Laced.
I wish I hatched her! Haha We lost our golden laced hen a year or two ago. She was so pretty! I could always hatch more… I just try to hatch responsibly. 😅

Back
Top Bottom