• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

LoveLuna22

Hatching
Jun 9, 2018
Ok so this is my 1st time ever having a chicken and a roosters, so I have no idea what I'm doing.Luna(my chicken) died two days ago and now it's just Mang (my rooster). We let him out all day and he comes back when it's time to sleep. His behavior didn't change much with Luna gone except he crows a lot more. Should I be concerned? Do we need to get another hen? We don't want to get one unless it's absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
Roosters can do fine without hens, same as hens can do fine without a rooster. But chickens aren't solitary animals either. Do you have other animals to keep him company or can you spend more time with him?

I would not get A hen for him, Is it possible to get 6-8 hens? Chickens are very social animals and need each other's company. And really I would have less than 8 hens for a rooster if you don't want your hens over-bred..

I don't really have space for 6-8 hens, maybe like 2, but do I really need them? I will get them if it's absolutely necessary.

I would not get 2.. It might be best to re-home your rooster if don't have the space for more hens. Chickens are flock animals and need to be with other chickens no matter how "Well" he seems, I believe it's cruel to keep a single chicken, Even as a house pet. Next time I'd get all hens if you don't want to deal with having too many chickens.

Ok so this is my 1st time ever having a chicken and a roosters, so I have no idea what I'm doing.Luna(my chicken) died two days ago and now it's just Mang (my rooster). We let him out all day and he comes back when it's time to sleep. His behavior didn't change much with Luna gone except he crows a lot more. Should I be concerned? Do we need to get another hen? We don't want to get one unless it's absolutely necessary.
or another rooster....he needs a companion as they are flock animals...it would be sad for him to alone. not natural...IMO

I think your rooster will be fine as an only chicken, people do it all the time as a pet. If you would like for your rooster to not be soo bored and restless all the time, adding a single hen will also do much help to calm him down..... just make sure you have enough space for all the little baby chicks though if that should happen.

Back
Top Bottom