Questions about fermenting feed.

I concur, it will respond well to fermenting. But you'll need to supplement with something for protein, ideally animal protein not plant; give fish or meat or dairy, and let them forage for insects and micronutrients in grass, weeds, leaf litter etc.

I concur, it will respond well to fermenting. But you'll need to supplement with something for protein, ideally animal protein not plant; give fish or meat or dairy, and let them forage for insects and micronutrients in grass, weeds, leaf litter etc.
Could i feed this fermented and layer pellets? Or is that not smart.

They are free ranging and i am currently feeding a 16% layer pellet feed. Highest protein feed i could find in my country :/

Could i feed this fermented and layer pellets? Or is that not smart.

They are free ranging and i am currently feeding a 16% layer pellet feed. Highest protein feed i could find in my country :/
Of course you can. You can ferment combinations together no problem.
Just a personal observation. I find whole and to a lesser extent cracked grains ferment a bit slower than something like pellet. Or slower to get started at least. My totally unscientific hypothesis is it's because it takes time for the grains to soak up and reach their osmotic capacity, then fermentation starts in earnest.

Agree with perris. A bit of additional meat or dairy action would be good if the plain grains are added in. In the past I have soaked pellets in milk to make a porridge. It turns unpalatable pellets into porridge the girls will fight over in mere minutes.

Of course you can. You can ferment combinations together no problem.
Just a personal observation. I find whole and to a lesser extent cracked grains ferment a bit slower than something like pellet. Or slower to get started at least. My totally unscientific hypothesis is it's because it takes time for the grains to soak up and reach their osmotic capacity, then fermentation starts in earnest.

Agree with perris. A bit of additional meat or dairy action would be good if the plain grains are added in. In the past I have soaked pellets in milk to make a porridge. It turns unpalatable pellets into porridge the girls will fight over in mere minutes.
Not unscientific at all. Whole grains have a coating to preserve the insides against the effects of water and air. That's small surface area relative to content and a skin/membrane to slow the process. Cracking the grains speeds the ferment by penetrating the membrane and increasing surface area to volume. Pelletized, pulverized, or crumbled feed has basically destroyed the membrane and again increased surface area to content ratio - so it absorbs water faster and is more easily converted by the bacteria you are using to ferment. Like eating off a plate rather than sucking thru a straw. Science.

And I agree w/ you and Perris. More protein, particularly animal, insect, or fish would be good.

Back
Top Bottom