Questions about keeping Modena's

Kanchii

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 8, 2007
San Rafael, California
Hello all!
I'm interested in adding a couple pairs of Modena's to my family, as we're moving into a new house next month and I should have space in the back to finally build something in the back for them. But my main question is this... How to best keep them? Do modena's need enough height to fly, or can they not fly? I'm guessing they cannot because of how they are built - so can they have enclosures that don't have a lot of height? I don't know why but I was visualizing several simple box enclosures (wire on 3 sides) that are stacked like 3 cages high. If I were to do that, what kind of floor space should I be giving each pair? Like, 4' long by 2' deep okay, with a couple perches and a nest box etc inside?

What do you intend to do with your Modenas??? Keep in small cages for what purpose???
Build a regular loft, like about 4' x 6' 4 feet high. Off the ground maybe about 3 feet on legs. That could comfortably house 10 pigeons. Build in a Trap, and Loft fly your birds.
You can get Ideas on how a loft should look/be built on YouTube. There is no shortage of different ones posted.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

What do you intend to do with your Modenas??? Keep in small cages for what purpose???
Build a regular loft, like about 4' x 6' 4 feet high. Off the ground maybe about 3 feet on legs. That could comfortably house 10 pigeons. Build in a Trap, and Loft fly your birds.
You can get Ideas on how a loft should look/be built on YouTube. There is no shortage of different ones posted.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Thanks for the reply! But can Modena's even fly? They seem so round like they probably can't fly anyway?

While not great flyers, they do fly some.
Loft flying means you release them from your loft to fly around in your yard or wherever you choose. They are not likely to escape far. If you train them........ they will return to your loft when they hear your signal for "FOOD AVAILABLE"

Back
Top Bottom