Questions about skirting

Many here recommend hardware cloth, and I used that on my first pen. I now use woven (not welded) wire fencing, however, as it's impossible to break (large animals, and even smaller dogs, can break the welds in welded wire).

Here is my original pen w/ hardware cloth apron:

19926_apron.jpg

And here's my woven wire 2x2 fencing. I used hardware cloth on the bottom 2 feet of the chainlink to prevent reach-ins, and this on the skirt. It is wired to the pen and staked in all around.

19926_apron_new.jpg

I made an apron with some left over cement mix. It probably isn't the cheapest way to go, and it sure isn't the easiest, but I had it so I used it. And let me tell you, if any foxes were planning on digging, they better bring a jack hammer.

Last edited:
I had some 12x12 concrete pavers on hand, so I lined the perimeter and it has been effective.

Quote:
The second photo here is what we use...well, we have 2"x4"...but same concept...heavy gauge and welded...no dig-in's since thats been up for over two years at our place. (2x2 is prob better)

Quote:
Again, I use WOVEN wire, not welded. Even a 25# dog can break the welded in any welded wire, regardless of gauge, if determined enough.

Woven wire is obviously the best, but quite expensive. I`ve used the welded wire with great success. My present settup is some left over plastic lattice cut in 2' x 8' lengths and held in place with landscape spikes. My chickens like to dig around the perimiters, so wit a 2' wide piece of lattice, I stick one foot inside and one foot outside. I don`t bother with the lower 2-3 feet of the run as the birds will be locked up during the night when they can`t see and in the daytime, they can see predators. On my side of the mountain I have everything from possums to coyotes and wild dogs. So far, so good........Pop

Quote:
For a while, maybe. Trust me--I have had to replace a 40 foot section I did in welded wire b/c it got SHREDDED by my 25 pound dog! If one weld breaks, fine--but it's not just one. If more than a few break, you have a very easy way for the intruded to put paws to dirt and dig a real hole under the fence!

Back
Top Bottom