rabbit does failing to carry

tielie135

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
100 mile house, BC, Canada
hey so i have been trying to breed my rabbits for awhile now and i have been having nothing but problems. i have 3 does (two NZW and a rex) and one rex buck. i have put them in and the buck only ever has one fall off. it is immediate then he has no interest in the doe or doesn't have another fall off, i can leave them in all day and still only one. if the doe takes she generally has very few and about halfway through the pregnancy they slowly start disappearing, by around 10 days to birth there is either one or none. have had no live or dead born. each of the 3 does have concieved and failed 2 to 3 times now. all of them are old enough and i am rather concerned. my rex doe is due in 10 days and i can only feel one, she 100% had at least 5 in there last week. all does and bucks are unproven due to this. is it the buck or a deficiency? all of them are healthy weight fed 16% rabbit feed (will switch to 18% after birth) with constant hay and water.
any help or advise is appreciated.

Can you call the person you acquired the buck from and tell them what’s going on? I would ask to borrow a buck for two days or so. Couldn’t hurt to ask.
How’s everyone’s health? Have you checked their temperatures? Is anyone sick? Are they indoors or heated?

Can you call the person you acquired the buck from and tell them what’s going on? I would ask to borrow a buck for two days or so. Couldn’t hurt to ask.
How’s everyone’s health? Have you checked their temperatures? Is anyone sick? Are they indoors or heated?
they are in my garage always above 5 C. nobody is showing or has shown any sign of illness. all of them are acting normal and healthy. i could ask the people i got the buck from but i know they have a closed barn breeding situation so i highly doubt it. otherwise the other people i know are a 2.5 - 3 hour drive (each way) so that is not preferable.

Hmmm. I have never experienced this problem, but it feels like a buck problem to me. Much more likely than all 3 does. They should be having big litters. I am intrigued by the expected miscarriages, though. Stress can cause this - can they hear scary noises at night? I know that sounds crazy, but high stress can cause hormonal shifts.
Are they overweight? This can cause lethargy during mounting and miscarriages.

have the does ever raised a kit? If male you could test him.

Hmmm. I have never experienced this problem, but it feels like a buck problem to me. Much more likely than all 3 does. They should be having big litters. I am intrigued by the expected miscarriages, though. Stress can cause this - can they hear scary noises at night? I know that sounds crazy, but high stress can cause hormonal shifts.
Are they overweight? This can cause lethargy during mounting and miscarriages.

have the does ever raised a kit? If male you could test him.

no does have had or taken care of kits and they are all good weight, (the rex doe was fat when i got her but i have gotten her down) i have a couple of chicken chicks in the garage at night but they just sleep and are generally very quiet. (they are feathered out but still too small to go out with the big guys)

no does have had or taken care of kits and they are all good weight, (the rex doe was fat when i got her but i have gotten her down) i have a couple of chicken chicks in the garage at night but they just sleep and are generally very quiet. (they are feathered out but still too small to go out with the big guys)
I am stumped! You should post this to the bunny thread on here it’s pretty active. More active than BYH.

Back
Top Bottom