Rabbits!

I love rabbits because...

• They're sooo cute!

Votes: 52 27.5%
  • They're friendly!

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • They're entertaining!

Votes: 40 21.2%
  • They've cast me under their fluffy spell!

Votes: 78 41.3%

• Total voters
Oops, I forgot to add the photo! :lau

but on topic how are jersey wooly rabbits for pets? are they nice? anyone raise one? can you groom them and sell there wool or hair like an angora rabbit (as my book tells me they have angora hair)
Because the Jersey Wooly has so much Netherland Dwarf in its background, the temperament is pretty much anything you might expect from a Dwarf - loveable and sweet to standoffish to downright nasty. Most of them are at least fairly nice; ARBA's rule allowing judges to disqualify vicious rabbits made it necessary to have even show rabbits be at least tractable, and most responsible breeders keep in mind that a lot of what they are producing wind up as pets. The ideal Wooly coat is the French Angora type; there are a lot of guard hairs mixed in with the wool. The Wooly's coat should have a definite 'lie' to it, shaping itself smoothly around the rabbit's body, and the texture is more hair-like than you might expect. A good Jersey Wooly really doesn't mat up unless it is actively shedding - they are meant to be an "easy-care longhair." Understand though, that's the good ones. Some Woolies have very soft, cottony coats, that seem to get matted if you just look at them funny. But whether good coat or bad, length of coat is not something that the Wooly is bred for. As long as the coat is at least 3" long, it's showable, though that is a bit short for spinning. So though you can spin the wool, they were never intended for serious wool production.

A quick question about post-operative care for neutered rabbits...I had my buck Rafa neutered yesterday and when I brought him home he was fairly lethargic and dripped a little blood from the incision area. The area wasn't swollen so I thought he may have bumped the stitches a bit from moving around and decided to watch him for a few hours. This morning his mobility is back to normal and he is bright-eyed and doesn't seem to be in pain. Should I still be concerned at all? It was just a bit worrying because every neutering in the past has occurred without any hiccups.

Back
Top Bottom