Raccoon Attack last night.... Big one...

Oddyseous

Chirping
Sep 21, 2019
Suffered a Raccoon attack last night, a big one. It had to be a family of raccoons, this time of year conservation is putting out warnings regarding wolves/coyotes teaching their young to hunt, looks like it applies to raccoons as well.

I had 18 full grown chickens and 5 Orpington youth/pullets, now I'm down to 11-13 full grown chickens and no Orrington pullets.

It was a massacre, parts of chicken are everywhere, the survivors are terrified to leave the hen house (which they got into as well).

I've had no issues for 2 years since I cemented and reinforced everything. Looks like they found a new way in I haven't discovered yet.

Let this be a warning to everyone, even if your chickens have been safe for years, it could still happen.

My Jersey Giant rooster must have went out there to try to fight them off, they broke his neck and left him.

Last edited:
Suffered a Raccoon attack last night, a big one. It had to be a family of raccoons, this time of year conservation is putting out warnings regarding wolves/coyotes teaching their young to hunt, looks like it applies to raccoons as well.

I had 18 full grown chickens and 5 Orpington youth/pullets, now I'm down to 11-13 full grown chickens and no Orrington pullets.

It was a massacre, parts of chicken are everywhere, the survivors are terrified to leave the hen house (which they got into as well).

I've had no issues for 2 years since I cemented and reinforced everything. Looks like they found a new way in they I haven't discovered yet.

Let this be a warning to everyone, even if your chickens have been safe for years, it could still happen.

My Jersey Giant rooster must have went out there to try to fight them off, they broke his neck and left him.
Oh my gosh! That’s horrible, I’m so sorry!!! :hugs

What are the latches on your coop/run doors like? We have some brazen raccoons in my neighborhood (they aren't afraid of people and roam around in broad day light sometimes) and I have to secure every latch on my coop with a caribiner so they can't open it. They are excellent climbers as well.

I've had no issues for 2 years since I cemented and reinforced everything. Looks like they found a new way in I haven't discovered yet.

:hugs I'm very sorry to hear this.

Raccoons are smart.
I had one get in a while back, it did not do any damage to my birds, I just happened to hear the birds and see it on camera. I still haven't figured out how it got in, only 1 ever to get in in over 7 years and hasn't happened since.

I've trapped 3 more racoons right after that.

I haven't had any activity around the coops until last night. Looks like another wave is coming, so...back to putting out traps I suppose. :(

I’m so sorry! Those poor things!!!

We are currently trying to get rid of one ourselves. Luckily, the little ones aren’t outside yet. But this one is a pain in my butt. Digs up my plants, tears through my trash (as most do), but is also trying to chew through my plastic garbage lids. I wish I had my old .22 cause he would have been gone tonight. Unfortunately, I only had a pellet gun. Shot him 2x but I know that isn’t going to keep him away. He is a lot bigger than I thought he was. I thought for sure he was a younger coon than he is.

I hope you can find a way to keep them out!

Back
Top Bottom