Rainbow Ranger Project

Mwhit

Chirping
Jun 13, 2022
Hey folks. Wanted to catalogue my first meat bird project.

Long story short, I culled two roosters this summer that were delicious and then basically knew I needed to start raising my own meat.

I ordered 25 rainbow rangers from Meyer Hatchery (which has proven to be great btw), got 27 and all have made it so far. Don’t have any pics of the chicks but here they are at exactly 4 weeks.

I’m considering keeping a few hens after the rest are butchered as long as they don’t have weight or leg issues and crossing them with my daughters Rhode Island rooster. I realize it may not turn out to be a great meat bird but I want to see what happens as long as the original hens can stay healthy.

Here’s some pics of the broilers and the rooster.

Attachments

• BFA9E2CD-90F6-48B9-96C9-261A26C54A85.jpeg
    BFA9E2CD-90F6-48B9-96C9-261A26C54A85.jpeg
    757.2 KB · Views: 818
  • B8005B77-479A-4B1F-93D0-4FCA12F8E929.jpeg
    B8005B77-479A-4B1F-93D0-4FCA12F8E929.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 01CD4C16-F8A4-47D3-80C4-4B98E0CC87F3.jpeg
    01CD4C16-F8A4-47D3-80C4-4B98E0CC87F3.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 37
  • C6557468-0982-4668-B2A7-40DFA2639523.jpeg
    C6557468-0982-4668-B2A7-40DFA2639523.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
Unfortunately I haven’t kept track of how much feed I’ve bought, but definitely will next time. For now I’m gonna weigh them every two weeks so I have something to go off of.

Once they’re fully feathered I’m gonna restrict to feeding twice a day. I’d say at this point (4weeks) they’re a bit smaller than a game hen you would buy at the store. I’m hoping to process at 6-7 lbs live weight.

The first time we raised meat birds, we raised Color Yield Freedom Rangers. They were awesome. I kept two hens. I tried to keep the two least "meat type" hens. The least of those two dropped dead after a year and a half. The other is still going and she's a big girl. She still pops out a couple eggs a week and she's about 4 now.
We currently have Kosher Kings. They are wonderful. I love them. I'll be keeping a couple of those hens too. One hen in particular is very spry and active is has been auditioning for a place on the layer team since she was a few weeks old.
We let ours have free access to feed and they free range all day. I love watching them waddle around the farm. I don't ever want to have the Cornish X. I like these more active birds.
Enjoy your project.

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3609.jpeg

The first time we raised meat birds, we raised Color Yield Freedom Rangers. They were awesome. I kept two hens. I tried to keep the two least "meat type" hens. The least of those two dropped dead after a year and a half. The other is still going and she's a big girl. She still pops out a couple eggs a week and she's about 4 now.
We currently have Kosher Kings. They are wonderful. I love them. I'll be keeping a couple of those hens too. One hen in particular is very spry and active is has been auditioning for a place on the layer team since she was a few weeks old.
We let ours have free access to feed and they free range all day. I love watching them waddle around the farm. I don't ever want to have the Cornish X. I like these more active birds.
Enjoy your project.

View attachment 3288536
View attachment 3288537
Those kosher kings look great! I was looking at the ones from freedom ranger hatchery, I may try them next. I agree about not wanting Cornish cross, I couldn’t imagine having a bird heavier and faster growing than what I already have.

Instead of siring the next generation from the Rhode Island keep the best body type Rainbow and a few best body type pullets to breed. They are hybrids already and beget hybrids. There is no reason to introduce the RIR unless your pushing for that color. He'd not be better for a meat bird hybrid than one of the rainbow's you already are growing.

The rainbow do not gain so much weight they flop. It is a dual purpose hybrid.

Instead of siring the next generation from the Rhode Island keep the best body type Rainbow and a few best body type pullets to breed. They are hybrids already and beget hybrids. There is no reason to introduce the RIR unless your pushing for that color. He'd not be better for a meat bird hybrid than one of the rainbow's you already are growing.

The rainbow do not gain so much weight they flop. It is a dual purpose hybrid.
That makes sense, the only reason Im hesitant to keep a rooster from the group is because I’d like to move the hens to the layer coop and keep them long term. The Rhode Island, who is our pet now, doesn’t like other roosters.

I could keep them in the meat bird pen but I’m trying to stay low maintenance and see if it’s worth it to keep a few hens. I think I’ll play it by ear once it’s time to process.

Thanks for the tips

That makes sense, the only reason Im hesitant to keep a rooster from the group is because I’d like to move the hens to the layer coop and keep them long term. The Rhode Island, who is our pet now, doesn’t like other roosters.

I could keep them in the meat bird pen but I’m trying to stay low maintenance and see if it’s worth it to keep a few hens. I think I’ll play it by ear once it’s time to process.

Thanks for the tips
You should still be able to make nice meat birds with your RIR over the Rainbows, F-1s anyway, after that it gets a little trickier. If you do decide to keep a ranger cockerel choose one of the medium to small ones as the larger ones will almost inevitably have health and/or breeding issues on down the line.

Back
Top Bottom