Raising 15 quail chicks

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to raise about 15 coturnix quail chicks (they should be less than one week old when I get them) and have some specific questions. Please help if you have any ideas/suggestions.

1. I'm planning to use my old 29 gallon fish tank as their contemporary "coop" before they're feathered good and ready to go outside. Is there a better option than fish tank? I'd prefer any ideas that I can use whatever I already have instead of spending more money.

2. heat bulb watts requirement. I do have 250 watts heat bulbs but I also have 75w or 100w heat bulbs for my reptiles. I wonder if those 75w or 100w heat bulbs would still be sufficient for 15 quail chicks. I ask this because I'm trying to save electricity bills.

3. Besides chicken starter crumbles for their food, clean water, changing their bedding once a day, what else would you recommend me to do? Thank you!

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to raise about 15 coturnix quail chicks (they should be less than one week old when I get them) and have some specific questions. Please help if you have any ideas/suggestions.

1. I'm planning to use my old 29 gallon fish tank as their contemporary "coop" before they're feathered good and ready to go outside. Is there a better option than fish tank? I'd prefer any ideas that I can use whatever I already have instead of spending more money.

2. heat bulb watts requirement. I do have 250 watts heat bulbs but I also have 75w or 100w heat bulbs for my reptiles. I wonder if those 75w or 100w heat bulbs would still be sufficient for 15 quail chicks. I ask this because I'm trying to save electricity bills.

3. Besides chicken starter crumbles for their food, clean water, changing their bedding once a day, what else would you recommend me to do? Thank you!
I use fish tanks. Those are my favorite because they can see out and you can watch their funny behaviors. Lol
For “heat” lamps I use just your usual 100 watt lamp light. I hang it at about 8-10 inches high and it keeps the temp super good. They will also need gamebird starter. Chicken starter is not high enough protein. Good luck!

Hi! Glad you want to raise quail.

1. That tank will get cramped fast. Do you have any large plastic bins or totes you could hold them in, or cardboard boxes? Boxes are more of a fire/escape risk, but you might have some on hand. Whatever you use will need to be fitted with a lid of sorts; as soon as the chicks can flutter, they'll be looking for ways out.
  2. Don't know much about bulbs. I used a heating plate and found it very energy efficient over two hatches.
  3. Quail chicks need something with more protein than chicken starter for at least their first few weeks, while they're putting on mass so fast. Most gamebird starters will do. Aside from food and water, they might appreciate some way of dust bathing when their feathers are coming in. Cleaned play sand works well and acts as a teeny bit of grit.

If you run out of room and you probably will I would go with boxes. You can go to a grocery store and ask them now if they would save you a big box like the ones watermelon or something like that would come in or maybe an appliance store like a refrigerator box oven boxes. Are they going to be in your house a 100 watt bulb would be plenty you just need a thermometer to check temp.

I second the giant boxes. Fridge, stove, whatever. The fish tank will get small quick!

I used a heat plate instead of a light with 20+ chicks and they loved it. They all pile up together anyway and it kept them on a natural light cycle.

Turkey start or wild game bird feed would be a better option than chicken feed. You want to aim for roughly 24% protein.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom