Raising capons past slaughter age?

chickbea

Songster
13 Years
Jan 18, 2007
Vermont
Hi -
Has anyone out there ever raised capons past the traditional slaughter age? I imagine they have obesity troubles, but what else might happen if you just kept them as pets?
Amy

I don't know. I imagine they would have a weight problem. I was willing to take a chance with my white brauma rooster though. The problem was, I noticed he was a rooster at too late of an age. I took him to a vet, he was about 15 weeks old. The vet told me the risks, but I love the guy and wasn't prepared for 2 roosters. I didn't want to give him away, because someone might eat him. I couldn't stand that!! So the vet operated.(It cost me over $300.00.) He didn't survive. He bled to death. I don't blame the vet, I knew what could happen. It's a tricky operation when they get a certain age. I feel bad, but I know where he is. I buried him at home. So good luck to you and your capon. I wish I could help you out, but I just don't know. If I had been successful, I would have kept him as long as he would have lived, so I know where your coming from. Merry

If I understand correctly, a capon is a castrated male chicken, right? Since this is the "Meat Birds" board, I imagine we're talking about a meat bird, right? What I can say is that I've been told that with most meat crosses used in production, keeping them after slaughter weight is ok for a few weeks, but their breasts continue to grow and become so large that they actually suffocate. I would imagine that it's breed dependent. (i.e.: if you have a breed that is used in a cross, like a Plymouth Rock, then you're ok, but if you have a Rock Cornish cross, then it won't survive.)

How old is your bird now?

Back
Top Bottom