Raising Guinea Fowl 101

@R2elk I got them at 4 weeks of age from a friend. I have had them for 3 weeks now
I would keep them cooped for another week before starting to release them one at a time. As long as some are still penned the released ones should not go far and should return to them.

I only fed and watered mine in the coop so they learned quickly where to go when hungry or thirsty.

I only have 2
That should definitely be a release only one at a time until they are acclimated to the situation.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best in large groups. I never recommend having fewer than ten so they can have proper flock dynamics. No, a bunch of chickens does not satisfy the guineas' need for more guineas. Guineas have entirely different instincts than any other poultry. Only other guineas understand guineas.

At 7 weeks old young guineas are afraid of everything and they are likely to fly up into a tree and not come down. if they even leave the coop. I don't let my young ones free range until they are close to adult size, around 3 months old. They are confined to a pen where they can run around and practice flying. The only exception is if they are raised by a guinea or chicken hen and she takes them out at a month old or so. :old

Thanks you guys
smile.png
I try really hard to help people out and post accurate info, but sometimes it's just so hard to express what I'm trying to say without it looking snippy or snooty tho
hide.gif
I read all you write Peeps and I appreciate it all. I am new at this and am soaking up the information and am thankful for all you are saying you do and I can take that to the bank. Thank you once again.

I read all you write Peeps and I appreciate it all. I am new at this and am soaking up the information and am thankful for all you are saying you do and I can take that to the bank. Thank you once again.
@PeepsCA is a wonderful source for guinea fowl information. Unfortunately she has not been on BYC since Sept. 22, 2014.

Back
Top Bottom