Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Thank you for the advice. Here I felt like I had read so much information I knew right from wrong at this point. We just build them a huge beautiful coop so hopefully they stick around and eat the ticks.
You can learn a lot about guineas from reading the early years of this thread and paying particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA.

You can learn a lot about guineas from reading the early years of this thread and paying particular attention to posts made by @PeepsCA.
Suggestions on when I should let them out and how? The main suggestion is one at a time but I’ve also seen letting them all out and then herding them up into the coop after a short period in the afternoon.
Your thought? I feel bad that they have been in a coop for so long but only 1 day in their new large coop (15ftx5ftx8ft) so I don’t feel as bad now that they are moved into a larger area but I want to see them happy outside when it’s right for them

Suggestions on when I should let them out and how? The main suggestion is one at a time but I’ve also seen letting them all out and then herding them up into the coop after a short period in the afternoon.
Your thought? I feel bad that they have been in a coop for so long but only 1 day in their new large coop (15ftx5ftx8ft) so I don’t feel as bad now that they are moved into a larger area but I want to see them happy outside when it’s right for them
Since you just moved them I would wait a couple of weeks before letting any out.

When I did my new group, I let them all out while I stayed and watched them and then herded them in when I needed to do something else.

When I was adding more later, I would pen them separate from the others in the coop. Once the attacks at the wire ended, I would release them one at a time over as many days as I had new additions.

Since you just moved them I would wait a couple of weeks before letting any out.

When I did my new group, I let them all out while I stayed and watched them and then herded them in when I needed to do something else.

When I was adding more later, I would pen them separate from the others in the coop. Once the attacks at the wire ended, I would release them one at a time over as many days as I had new additions.
Okay that sounds like a plan thank you for your advise!

Guineas are also not afraid of cats- my young cat will spook the chickens to see them flutter, but one day one of my male guineas stood up to her, and chased her back to the workshop. Needless to say, the guineas will fluff and follow/chase the cat as soon as they see her now.

I'm waiting for my first egg this year. I have in my journal the first egg in 2009 was March 14th. First day of spring and we had snow showers- will it ever warm up and not be muddy/sloppy??

Lora in central IL
My barn cat learned quickly not to mess with chickens namely roster. Lol

Back
Top Bottom