Raising rabbits for meat

I had befriended many cows and pigs during my childhood who than became dinner. It's the main reason I became a vegetarian. I'm not a fan of hypocrites. Either you eat meat or you don't. I'd rather it be raised humanely no matter the species. And it's better for the human to raise their own because they can control what's going into their food.

Rabbits are fantastic utility animals.:ya They can have amazing personalities. I always have that one VIP bunny in my herd that is off-limits because she is so awesome. The most important factors when starting out is your set-up and the quality of your foundation stock. I recommend buying your rabbits on site so you can see the degree of cleanliness in the breeder's facility. Choose individuals with strong hindquarters and big ears. Rabbits have a reputation of being low maintenance but if you care about their welfare, they can keep you hopping with chores. Many breeders exclusively feed rabbit ration because it grows them out fast but rabbits really love sweet fresh hay. They can mow through a bale of that in no time. In the summer you can raise them on grass, at least that's what I do. Some people strongly advise against it, associating grass with diarrhea. I never had a problem with it. Breeding your own line is a ton of fun because you can focus on personality traits you want. Rabbits are addictive, you have been warned....;):bun

IMG_2911.JPG

Awwww....iddit da cute widdle bunniekins? Yes id iz! <ahem> Yes...yes, those are nice little baby rabbits.
Thanks for your post...excellent tips. I understand the legs, but why big ears? :hmm And how do you tell if they have strong hindquarters?

Awwww....iddit da cute widdle bunniekins? Yes id iz! <ahem> Yes...yes, those are nice little baby rabbits.
Thanks for your post...excellent tips. I understand the legs, but why big ears? :hmm And how do you tell if they have strong hindquarters?
Sorry I oversimplified what I meant. I meant ears that aren't thin. This can be an indicator of poor stock. You check for overall conformation by assessing the animal's proportions from above and side view. Check out some images online to get an eye for what to look for. Ears and legs are just two of the things to take note of: teeth, eyes, clear nasal passages, fur condition and temperament are all part of your pre-purchase checklist as is the state of the rabbit housing. Of course, you can sometimes find good stock free or cheap if you are lucky but I never take chances anymore after purchasing five bad kits many years ago at a livestock market. They were infested with hepatic coccidia. I ended up culling everyone and treating the habitats for contamination. No fun at all. That's why I am super diligent anymore. This sort of thing may not visible in one rabbit itself but a filthy rabbitry is a red flag.

Love finding this thread — logging in after a good year or so away from BYC. (Came to look to see if anyone else is panicked a little about the crazy low temps this week...lol!) I’ve been looking into raising meat rabbits & quail lately. Not sure if we’ll do it yet, but it’s definitely up for discussion in my house right now! Thanks to all for the info...all helpful & interesting!

And...a snake that could get through 1/2 inch hardware cloth was actually big enough to eat a chicken? Wow. Live and learn. The albino corn snake I had once (got her as a hatchling...very tiny) could have eaten a chick, but by the time she was old enough to do that she couldn't have fit through a half-inch hole.
As far as the buck passing out after sex, well...hmmm...that reminds my of my first husband.... :duc

Just to clarify...the snake ate a newborn kit, not a chick.

Hey, we could probably share ex-husband stories too :lau

I had befriended many cows and pigs during my childhood who than became dinner. It's the main reason I became a vegetarian. I'm not a fan of hypocrites. Either you eat meat or you don't. I'd rather it be raised humanely no matter the species. And it's better for the human to raise their own because they can control what's going into their food.

:goodpost:

Rabbits are fantastic utility animals.:ya They can have amazing personalities. I always have that one VIP bunny in my herd that is off-limits because she is so awesome. The most important factors when starting out is your set-up and the quality of your foundation stock. I recommend buying your rabbits on site so you can see the degree of cleanliness in the breeder's facility. Choose individuals with strong hindquarters and big ears. Rabbits have a reputation of being low maintenance but if you care about their welfare, they can keep you hopping with chores. Many breeders exclusively feed rabbit ration because it grows them out fast but rabbits really love sweet fresh hay. They can mow through a bale of that in no time. In the summer you can raise them on grass, at least that's what I do. Some people strongly advise against it, associating grass with diarrhea. I never had a problem with it. Breeding your own line is a ton of fun because you can focus on personality traits you want. Rabbits are addictive, you have been warned....;):bun

View attachment 1656051

Excellent tips!

Love finding this thread — logging in after a good year or so away from BYC. (Came to look to see if anyone else is panicked a little about the crazy low temps this week...lol!) I’ve been looking into raising meat rabbits & quail lately. Not sure if we’ll do it yet, but it’s definitely up for discussion in my house right now! Thanks to all for the info...all helpful & interesting!

Welcome back to activity :frow

Hi! Welcome to my learning thread! Good timing! I'm getting answers from some very experienced and knowledgeable replies and help!
As for temperatures, we live in Oregon, and it's been in the 60s this week! Mild for us, we usually have high 30s or 40s in January. This is more like March weather.

Oh...a newborn chick! Sure, that makes sense. My corn snake ate tiny pinky mice, newborn, that were delivered frozen. That reminds me of another question I had wander through my mind...if you kill a mouse, in a trap so it's not tainted...do you give it to your chickens? I know I've read here that chickens will eat mice.

Oh...a newborn chick! Sure, that makes sense. My corn snake ate tiny pinky mice, newborn, that were delivered frozen. That reminds me of another question I had wander through my mind...if you kill a mouse, in a trap so it's not tainted...do you give it to your chickens? I know I've read here that chickens will eat mice.

I've never fed a trapped mouse to my chickens but they have caught at least a couple (that I know of) on their own.

I have a PacMan frog that eats frozen small mice. And I’ve fed small mice to him that my cat occasionally catches. If they’re too big for the frog, I give them to the chickens, but only if they’re still alive. Chickens will ignore it if it’s not moving...in my experience. Perhaps others have seen differently, tho.

Back
Top Bottom