Randy's Hen House

NorseDad

Chirping
Dec 3, 2021
West Central Florida
Hey Folks,

I've only been on BYC for a little while, but I finally got around to taking photos of my set up and flock. I wanted to say how great it was for me to find this site as a resource as a beginning keeper. A bit of back story: I am a 33 year old man living in Central Florida with my wife and two sons. I have a lot of love for animals. I have two coonhounds, a rescue pit bull, a ball python, a cockatiel, and 36 different species of tarantulas. Since my wife and I met 12 years ago, we have always expressed a desire to live a more self-sufficient life. We like to garden, and keeping chickens was one of the things I promised myself I would do once we owned our own property. After a lot of work cleaning up our credit scores, eliminating debts, and saving, we managed to buy our fist home this past August. It's not a huge piece of land, but it's ours. One of my requirements for a home was that the zoning and local ordinances allow chickens. So, after closing the house and taking care of initial repairs and projects, my wife gave me the greenlight.

I spent a lot of time reading books like Storey's Guide and asking questions here on BYC before settling on a coop and what breeds I wanted. I knew I wanted a breed that had decent egg production, wasn't overly broody (can't have a rooster here), and most importantly was friendly. I have a 6 year old and 6 month old, and I wanted them to enjoy chickens with me. I ended up deciding on Speckled Sussex. I hired a local company to make my hen house and run, and found a farm about an hour away that had the chickens I wanted. I decided to forego chicks this time, and the farm I contacted sold pullets at 8 weeks old: perfect.

My local area has two rules: up to 4 hens and no roosters. So I planned to get 5 hens just incase the worst should happen. My six-year-old and I headed up to the farm a little later in December than initially planned as I was waiting for the coop to be delivered. When we got there, they were low on Sussex. I was able to get 3 Sussex pullets, and ended up also getting 2 Easter Eggers to fill in my numbers. It was my first experience wrangling chickens, and I must have looked ridiculous loading them into my small pink dog crate. It took me 30 minutes, and I was realizing just how out of shape I was when the farmers teenager swiftly came to my aid.
The trip home was a bit surreal. It was a great feeling to have been patient for so long and finally getting to get chickens like I wanted. I was definitely feeling like an old seasoned farmer rolling up to my local feed store with my Rural King hat and minivan full of chickens to get my pine shavings and feed. What's that? Of course I'll be signing up for the Tractor Supply Co. rewards program. I'm a farmer now after all. :lau

Things have been going well a month into it. I've found some weak points to the coop and run and made my own modifications. It's fun to troubleshoot. You don't truly learn about keeping until you're into it. I replaced the hardware cloth flooring with laminate, insulated the roof, added additional ventilation, installed some natural limb roosts, and build a little roosting bar stand in the run out of some scrap. It's a great feeling to look out my windows to the back yard and see 5 happy chickens running around. I love going out there and sitting in the run while I'm trying to build up trust. They've moved from terrified by my presence to wary, to curious. I've gotten the most brave Sussex to eat from my hand. I'm looking forward to my first eggs and getting to experience these girls growing up.

Here are some pictures of my coop and run. I'm in the process of tearing down the old messed up chain link fencing in the yard and replacing it with privacy fencing. Once that is done, I'll try out some free ranging.

Cooprun.jpg

hensign2.jpg

hensign1.jpg

Here are some pictures of my girls:

Queen is one of my two Eggers. I lover her cute muffs.
chick2.jpg

Goldie is my second Egger. No muffs or beard, but some pretty lacing.
Chick9.jpg

Winifred, Mary, and Sarah are my 3 Speckled Sussex. Mary is the largest, and the bravest. The only one who will let me feed her directly so far. Sarah is in the middle and is starting to trust me more. Winifred is the smallest, and is finally starting to grow her tail out.
chick4.jpg

chick8.jpg

All of them seem to be doing well. Here they are enjoying some leftover steamed carrots and some cooked grits from breakfast.
chick7.jpg

Chick10.jpg

chick6.jpg
chick1.jpg

01/31/2022
More space, more fun, and a special gift for the girls.

We just bought this house in August and while I love the space, the backyard needs a lot of work. The neighbor who is against the backside of our property doesn't take good care of things. We have this great space, but constantly have the view placed in front of a backdrop which includes piles of trash, rusty dilapidated sheds, old bins filled with mosquito infested stagnant water, and people sneaking onto our property to steal from our fruit trees. The relationship with those neighbors hasn't been great. It got worse after the third time their dog got loose, chased my six year old into the house, and I called animal control. I've also caught their kids going into my hen house. 😫

I've been saving since we moved and finally the work on the privacy fence is complete. The yard feels a million times better.
272974347_10100674503372005_3721663843354421730_n.jpg
I still have a lot of cleaning to do in the yard. There is a lot of tree debris and leftovers from the previous residents I'm clearing out. I started to carefully clean up around our citrus tree and put in some feeders for the birds.

It was a terrific weekend though. Temperatures got down to the low 30s. We did a fire for marshmallows and to burn some of the limbs and branches. With the fence completed, our hounds finally have a space to run around and have fun. My male redtick coonhound Hudson (1 year old), was very interested in the chickens. He even tried to tree them in the coop and bay for me to get them. He chilled out after about 15 minutes.

272665833_10100674698590785_5858089506982495_n.jpg
His bluetick sister Maisy (7 month old) didn't seem to care about them at all. Here's a pic of the two together:
IMG_9188.jpg

We also went to a farm swap at the Rural King in Ocala. There wasn't a ton there, and I assume it's because it was far too cold for Floridians in the morning. I saw a little picnic table for chickens and had to get it. I've been trying to give them some enrichment while the yard is getting cleaned up, so I made them a little perch from some scrap, and they love the perch and the new "chicknic" table. (Especially with the scratch and a few meal worms I baited it with. 😉)
IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9232.jpg

I'm really pleased with how they are doing. The Sussex especially are warming up to me. The biggest one (Mary) actually lets me touch her now. The two EEs are still wary but curious. Everyone seems happy and the combs are starting to get some real blush to them. I'm hoping to see some first eggs by March.

IMG_9243.jpg

Hey Folks,

I've only been on BYC for a little while, but I finally got around to taking photos of my set up and flock. I wanted to say how great it was for me to find this site as a resource as a beginning keeper. A bit of back story: I am a 33 year old man living in Central Florida with my wife and two sons. I have a lot of love for animals. I have two coonhounds, a rescue pit bull, a ball python, a cockatiel, and 36 different species of tarantulas. Since my wife and I met 12 years ago, we have always expressed a desire to live a more self-sufficient life. We like to garden, and keeping chickens was one of the things I promised myself I would do once we owned our own property. After a lot of work cleaning up our credit scores, eliminating debts, and saving, we managed to buy our fist home this past August. It's not a huge piece of land, but it's ours. One of my requirements for a home was that the zoning and local ordinances allow chickens. So, after closing the house and taking care of initial repairs and projects, my wife gave me the greenlight.

I spent a lot of time reading books like Storey's Guide and asking questions here on BYC before settling on a coop and what breeds I wanted. I knew I wanted a breed that had decent egg production, wasn't overly broody (can't have a rooster here), and most importantly was friendly. I have a 6 year old and 6 month old, and I wanted them to enjoy chickens with me. I ended up deciding on Speckled Sussex. I hired a local company to make my hen house and run, and found a farm about an hour away that had the chickens I wanted. I decided to forego chicks this time, and the farm I contacted sold pullets at 8 weeks old: perfect.

My local area has two rules: up to 4 hens and no roosters. So I planned to get 5 hens just incase the worst should happen. My six-year-old and I headed up to the farm a little later in December than initially planned as I was waiting for the coop to be delivered. When we got there, they were low on Sussex. I was able to get 3 Sussex pullets, and ended up also getting 2 Easter Eggers to fill in my numbers. It was my first experience wrangling chickens, and I must have looked ridiculous loading them into my small pink dog crate. It took me 30 minutes, and I was realizing just how out of shape I was when the farmers teenager swiftly came to my aid.
The trip home was a bit surreal. It was a great feeling to have been patient for so long and finally getting to get chickens like I wanted. I was definitely feeling like an old seasoned farmer rolling up to my local feed store with my Rural King hat and minivan full of chickens to get my pine shavings and feed. What's that? Of course I'll be signing up for the Tractor Supply Co. rewards program. I'm a farmer now after all. :lau

Things have been going well a month into it. I've found some weak points to the coop and run and made my own modifications. It's fun to troubleshoot. You don't truly learn about keeping until you're into it. I replaced the hardware cloth flooring with laminate, insulated the roof, added additional ventilation, installed some natural limb roosts, and build a little roosting bar stand in the run out of some scrap. It's a great feeling to look out my windows to the back yard and see 5 happy chickens running around. I love going out there and sitting in the run while I'm trying to build up trust. They've moved from terrified by my presence to wary, to curious. I've gotten the most brave Sussex to eat from my hand. I'm looking forward to my first eggs and getting to experience these girls growing up.

Here are some pictures of my coop and run. I'm in the process of tearing down the old messed up chain link fencing in the yard and replacing it with privacy fencing. Once that is done, I'll try out some free ranging.

View attachment 2971997
View attachment 2971998
View attachment 2972000

Here are some pictures of my girls:

Queen is one of my two Eggers. I lover her cute muffs.
View attachment 2972002

Goldie is my second Egger. No muffs or beard, but some pretty lacing.
View attachment 2972005

Winifred, Mary, and Sarah are my 3 Speckled Sussex. Mary is the largest, and the bravest. The only one who will let me feed her directly so far. Sarah is in the middle and is starting to trust me more. Winifred is the smallest, and is finally starting to grow her tail out.
View attachment 2972007
View attachment 2972011

All of them seem to be doing well. Here they are enjoying some leftover steamed carrots and some cooked grits from breakfast.
View attachment 2972013
View attachment 2972014
View attachment 2972015View attachment 2972016
Love your story If you bring treats like canned corn or some cooked hamburger those chickens will come running to see you! I dreamed of chickens for years and finally retired last year and got my first chickens I’ve attached a video of my chicken journey !

Love your story If you bring treats like canned corn or some cooked hamburger those chickens will come running to see you! I dreamed of chickens for years and finally retired last year and got my first chickens I’ve attached a video of my chicken journey !
That video was adorable. It's fun to share them with family.

Back
Top Bottom