Ranger Grow-Out Journals

I wish it didn't bother me! That is mainly what has held me back from putting in the order. It isn't the time or effort, it is the killing part. I can appreciate the fact that you know what the bird has eaten, any meds given, and its overall general health during its life. I think alot of the cancer today comes from our food supply. I just need to get up the guts! Thank You for your insight!

GG--I can totally relate to that. Even though we don't think of our chickens as "pets" I was hesitant to butcher them at first. Fortunately other family members and friends were okay with the killing part. Is there someone who can help you the first time? Hunters and people who grew up on farms are good prospects. The plucking and eviscerating was easier for me. Now, after a few years, I feel that I could do the slaughtering if I had to. Somewhere along the line, my mind has been able to see the chickens more as food than as little animals I care for every day.

It's also important to have a method you're comfortable with. We put our chickens in upside down cones, and the chickens go kind of comatose when upside down. Then a carefully placed slash is quick to kill them. Also you have to remember that the twitching that happens after that is involuntary body response--the chicken is dead and not in pain.

I also always have some laying hens, and I think that helps. While we're raising some chickens for meat, we have others that we can name and know they will be around for a while.

Definitely not cheaper. It never has been cheaper even 50 years ago when my dad thought he would save money raising our own, it didn't happen.
The first time I raised FRs I calculated that I could buy pastured, organic Amish chicken at Whole Foods market cheaper than I could raise them and then there is the labor issue.
I think it is the economy of scale. It takes thousands of birds, buying feed in bulk and an assembly line style butchering process (with lots of expert help).
Buying feed by the bag is just too expensive.
I like the birds though. I got 51 about a month ago and they're going outside today. They are tough. I raise chicks in an unheated, uninsulated building and lost power 3 times. The inside temp dropped below 30 inside a couple times and I lost no birds.
I raise our meat birds, having them forage and feeding organic, soy-and corn-free, and (not counting my time) they came out to $4/lb. I can buy whole organic chicken for that price, but I doubt that it is corn-/soy-free and that those chickens lived as well as mine. There are some people at the farmer's market that might raise chickens like mine, but they are $6-$8/lb! When I look at the big picture, I am saving $.

GG--I can totally relate to that. Even though we don't think of our chickens as "pets" I was hesitant to butcher them at first. Fortunately other family members and friends were okay with the killing part. Is there someone who can help you the first time? Hunters and people who grew up on farms are good prospects. The plucking and eviscerating was easier for me. Now, after a few years, I feel that I could do the slaughtering if I had to. Somewhere along the line, my mind has been able to see the chickens more as food than as little animals I care for every day.

It's also important to have a method you're comfortable with. We put our chickens in upside down cones, and the chickens go kind of comatose when upside down. Then a carefully placed slash is quick to kill them. Also you have to remember that the twitching that happens after that is involuntary body response--the chicken is dead and not in pain.

I also always have some laying hens, and I think that helps. While we're raising some chickens for meat, we have others that we can name and know they will be around for a while.
Thank you for your insight. I do believe at some point I will get up the guts to do it. I have a small pen built that I was using to range my chickens...but they free range now so I do not use it. I am going to add a little to it for night shelter. I could easily seperate my laying hens and the birds I intend on butchering maybe that would make it easier.
I have killed 2 hens as they were egg bound and could not pass the egg so after 1-2 days I culled them. Thet was my first time killing anything. I just loped their heads off with loppers but I do think the bleed out method is probably better, especially if you are going to eat them. I did not eat mine because I was not sure they were healthy anymore. My neighbor did offer to help....for half of the meat. I figure I would have so much into the birds and then to give away half of the meat.....kinda seemed like a losing situation for me. But maybe for the first time around I should do it to get some experience and confidence and then do it myself after that. Thanks for the info.

Yes you do need to compare apples to apples. And just regular store bought chicken is not given any special food or kept clean. So I guess I would compare it more to organic chicken....I am going to check the price of organic chicken when I make my trip to town this week. Kinda curious what it costs.

We are thinking of giving that a try this year. We are raising our first two Buff Orp roosters right now (they're 7 months old) and they seem more docile so far. Definitely big enough to make a nice dual purpose cross with a meat bird.
Would it be easier to raise up a meat bird roo and have the Orp. hens to collect the crossed offspring from? Or is it better to go with the meat bird hen? Meat birds hens do not lay very well correct?

i have enjoyed the "Polyface farm" youtube chicken video(s) and wonder how your feed per lb of gain would compare with their method of raising broilers
Haven't seen that I will have to check it out.

I raise our meat birds, having them forage and feeding organic, soy-and corn-free, and (not counting my time) they came out to $4/lb. I can buy whole organic chicken for that price, but I doubt that it is corn-/soy-free and that those chickens lived as well as mine. There are some people at the farmer's market that might raise chickens like mine, but they are $6-$8/lb! When I look at the big picture, I am saving $.
That's exactly why I do it.

I have 30 red rangers coming this week. I'm torn on what to feed them. Leaning more towards fermented feed, but would prefer something soy free. In AK we are limited, I think, on our options.
Anyone use fodder??

Amen. It's not cheaper, but it tastes better, and I sure gotta believe it's better for you.

When you clean the bird, and there's not tons of fat to cut away, that has to be a good thing.

Growing tomatoes at home isn't too cheap, either.

Definitely not cheaper. .....
I think it is the economy of scale. It takes thousands of birds, buying feed in bulk and an assembly line style butchering process (with lots of expert help).
Buying feed by the bag is just too expensive.

Back
Top Bottom