Rare Central & South American (& South Pacific) Breeds

Along BonneTerreChick's posts....I have the other 19 day old "not pure silky" from our second hatch. Here is a picture of Houdini...named her after her mother because she popped out of her cage 3 times and made a bee-line for me! She is a love.

please tell me Houdini is a hen...will break my heart otherwise!

My most beautiful Collonca! She's very friendly too!

My black one, he's a favorie too- friendly & glossy shiny!

Two more Colloncas on each side of her. They are a friendly bunch & very pretty. They also like to watch me as much as I watch them.

These are my Sweet Potato Quechuas, they are more little flighty than the Colloncas, but no more than other breeds- we need to handle them more. The kids always go for the brightest colors to play with & the others do not get handled much! The boy on the bottom that is feathering in white is the most friendly of them all. They are all very pretty wild type colors!

What beautiful chicks! Just wondering how you know what gender they are? Someone told me that a person can tell the gender of my Chantecler chicks by color, just wondering if this is something similiar? LOL, or is it like here where we call all of them "she" in hopes?(though I dont think its working, as it appears we have 5 boys and 2 girls with the first hatch of 4 different breeds). Hope you are able to keep us in pics as yours get older. I look forward to seeing how the colors, patterns, combs and wattles develop, so I hope so. Anyway, thanks for the lovely pics.

What beautiful chicks! Just wondering how you know what gender they are? Someone told me that a person can tell the gender of my Chantecler chicks by color, just wondering if this is something similiar? LOL, or is it like here where we call all of them "she" in hopes?(though I dont think its working, as it appears we have 5 boys and 2 girls with the first hatch of 4 different breeds). Hope you are able to keep us in pics as yours get older. I look forward to seeing how the colors, patterns, combs and wattles develop, so I hope so. Anyway, thanks for the lovely pics.
Thank you! I am just guessing at the genders. The first Collonca pictured I have the feeling she is a girl, and the black one a boy. All the combs of the Colloncas look the same and are small, though don't think I would be lucky enough for 4 girls (well one boy would be perfect). Now with the SPQs I suspect quite more than a few are boys - 2 have raised pea combs with 3 rows of bumps visable(must be boys), one of which is the white feathered one. Then three of them have raised combs but they are flat without pea-like bumps, are these boys too? Not sure. The last one has hardly anything at all visible for a comb, so must be a girl. In general for many breeds, I have noticed that the more flamboyant colors are often the boys. Of course, they are still quite young & time will tell!

I really sad to do this, but I feel I need to close this listing. I really want everyone to share their pictures and keep me updated!
This has been a really great experience. I'm not a pro that has been at this for a bunch of years, so all this communication and shipping has been fun!

I started a Huastec thread a few months back and ya'll are more than welcome to visit and post you Huastec picks and comments there.

And a thread my Resolution called "I Heart Rapanuis" is a nice one to post any of the Quechua or Colloncas (or even Ponape and Koro Sea [
sad.png
no one wanted any Koro Sea so far] picks and such comments related.

and lastly, please feel free to leave feedback.

All the best,
~Yashar

Last edited:
Just got some Huastec, SPQ and Collonca teenagers from Yashar today. I've never had chickens enter so seemlessly into my flock! They are so laid back and calm, the other chickens don't sense a threat, I guess. The SPQ are soooooo sweet! I am wishing I bought some more, ARG!

Back
Top Bottom